1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice re external hard drive please

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by 90210, Jun 2, 2005.

1. 90210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, My pc is about 3 years old and so is a little ont he slow side for editing etc although it works its a bit slow. I am hoping to get a laptop for use in the next year or so so dont want to upgrade my desk pc as it will not be worth it but someone has suggested that if i get an external hd this could also be used on a laptop. I dont know about these things at all so is this true and if so are there things to bear in mind for my old desktop and future laptop. I know that if it works i will still be stuck with my old processor (slow!) so may not make much diff speed wise but just for storage? Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Well I still use an old P4 1.8GHz PC with 1Gb of RAM to edit and see no real reason to upgrade yet! A faster processor will speed rendering up, but so will adding more RAM.

External HDD's normally have 2 options for connecting up - USB2.0 & firewire. USB2.0 is fine for general use, but could cause problems if used for video capture as the speed is not consistent and could therefore cause dropped frames. I would suggest you go for an external drive with a firewire connection. Just make sure the HDD & camcorder are not daisey chained together, but both are plugged directly into separate ports on your firewire card.

Mark.

3. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can heartily recommend the LAcie D2 drives, 250gb for 150 of yer british pounds.

has the essential specs: big 8mb buffer, 7200 rpm speed with firewire 400 & 800 ports.

I actually daisychain my HDV camcorder through a lacie D2 and into my mac mini and it works a treat (and I use the same Lacie drive as my capture scratch).

On any system an extra HD works wonders, typically you would have your programm files and project files on one disc and all your data (video & audio, renders, etc) on a second drive.

As its going through a seprate bus and the info can be read from both similtaneously your system renders more quickly and is more stable.

If you have a canon camera try and fit a seperate card for the drive and the camcorder as mark suggests, my XM2 kicks the drive out on my PC every time. At £10 a pop for a passable card it'd be rude not to.