Advice re editing/burning software.

ellington

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Whilst I have aleady gained a lot of useful info from browsing this forum, this is my first post.
I have used Nero 6 Reloaded for all my burning needs for some time, back-ups, audio, data cd's and DVD's and using Nero Vision Express have done slide shows with my Digi photos and have even edited and burned to DVD a Wedding video with a friends dv camcorder. I have now bought a Canon MV850i of my own so will be doing more editing/burning. The reason for the post however is that Nero 7 is about to be released but on reading posts on the forum the two main programs that seem to be mentioned are Ulead and Pinnacle.
Should I be looking to upgrade Nero or would I be better to direct my money towards something like Ulead MovieFactory 4 Disc creator edition.
Yours views would be greatly appreciated by a comcorder newbie.

ellington

It really depends upon your editing needs.

If you are happy with Nero and find it is stable and produces good results i.e. edited footage burnt to DVD then stick with that.

If you want to be a little more creative and start titling videos and adding special effects such as 3d transitions, picture in picture, green screen, colour correction then check out Pinnacle Studio 9/10 or Ulead DVD Studio 9. The software is pretty cheap and will provide the next level creativity for your video editing.

There are many similar editing software apps available which do pretty much the same thing. I would suggest downloading a trial version and mess about with it for 30 days to see if you like it and would find the software useful.

Hi Laser
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I took your advice and managed to download a trial version of Ulead Video studio 9 before a failing PC power supply finally expired. Unfortunately I have had very little time to try it out yet but from what I have seen it makes Nero Vision express look very basic. I think I have been looking at it the wrong way in trying to find an alternative to Nero for everything rather than a good capture/edit/burn software for my video needs and use Nero for everything else. I am up and running now with new power supply so will spend the next 29 days trying out Ulead. I apologise for not replying sooner but circumstances beyond my control. Thanks again.

ellington

Also worth a look is Sony Vegas Movie Studio (30 day trial here):-

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/download/step2.asp?DID=613

Unless you really want to, I personally wouldn't worry about looking at Pinnacle. Specification wise it's a great piece of software which is good when it works, but that's it's real problem. Whilst many people do use it trouble free, it seems that more people have no end of problems stability wise. Video editing is a time consuming job, and the last thing you need is to spend hours creating your masterpiece, only for the software to screw up and make you have to start again (I speak from bitter experience!).

Thanks Melliott1963
I have read enough on this site about Pinnacle to leave it until later but I will download the trial of Sony Vegas Movie Studio and try it alongside Ulead Video Studio 9. I just need more time to mess about with editing now.

ellington

Between decorating and other tasks over the last few days I have managed to try my trial version of Ulead Video Studio 9. I liked the feel of it and edited some captured camcorder video, the intention being to put the edited video back onto minidv tape as a master to keep before doing any DVD burning. All seemed to go according to plan and I set the cam up with a new tape. However when trying to play the tape now to check it was ok I find the sound is very poor and the picture breaks up or appears to speed up. I thought I had set everything up to work ok. Any idea ?

ellington

Ulead products are not very good, use something else.

Thanks for that. Thats why I asked for advice in the first place. I will use something else.

pjclark1 said:

I've always found Ulead Cool 3D Production Studio a very useful little program.
It's very fleixble, reliable & very reasonably priced.

Many others here swear by Ulead DVD Movie Factory too.

pjclark1 said:
( emphasis mine)
....... Now that Sir, is very strong.
I have played with Video studio 9 , Found it stable but did not warm to its clunky interface. We all know there are other reasons for poor playback besides poorly written software.
For photographs ( slide shows etc) I have found ULead CD/DVD Pictureshow 2, 3 and currently 4 very easy to use and stable .
I also used the MovieFactory4 and still use ( very often) its big brother, Movie Workshop2 for dvd authoring .
They are both really easy to use and not incapable of polished results.
Cool 3D Production Studio is another Ulead product I have used and enjoyed,
a liitle less lately since I discovered Editions 3d effects editor.

Stability issues with the previously mentioned Pinnacle Studio (8,9,and now 10) has been thrashed in this as well as other forums.

http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=35846

Pinnacle also makes Liquid Edition 6.1 which I regularly use and find fantastic. Even the much maligned Studio does in fact work for me but has a well deserved bad name.
That doesnt mean I think Pinnacle products are " not very good" but Studio has given more than a few people a bad headache. Pinnacle has now been bought over by AVID and the future of its products is at any rate not very certain
My point : I have not found Ulead products " not very good". There have been issues with recognising certain cd/ dvd writers but that problem is not peculiar to Ulead. /: they all release update patches for problems like this
Ellington , Moviefactory is more or a dvd creating software and less of a video editor Use it by all means but be aware of its limitations

Adobe Premiere Elements ( now on version 2 ) is certainly worth looking at . I got it as a bundle with Photoshop Elements 3 used it a few times but uninstalled it only to free up space not as an indication of dissaffection with it.
If it has any issues it is its learning curve for a newbee but It was designed to work and it does if you get to grips with it .
Good luck :smashin:

Before you ask......... no I do not work for ULead!!
PS: Melliot1963 did get me curious about Sony Vegas Studio and after some initial reluctance I downloaded it and seems pretty decent so far ( i am still within the 30 day trial!)

Thanks vonhosen and senu for taking the trouble to reply. My last entry, I think, was done with a little annoyance and sarcasm having asked for advice in the first place to be told with no other information that Ulead products are not good. Use something else.
As I said in my initial post I have Nero 6 which I use for my general burning needs and have used Vision express to capture, (from a friends cam) edit, burn dvd and dv output to my own cam for a master copy (original tape was not mine) quite successfully. Having taken Lasers advice to try Ulead Video studio 9 and Sony Vegas movie studio 6 I now realise how very basic the editing functions of nerovision are and realise that it is the video editing software that I need. So I will go back to the drawing board and try again with the various programs that have been mentioned so far and see if I can get it right.

ellington

Ulead Video studio 9 kept crashing for me today.
after trying to edit a bit of video....
going to try the sony program now...

edit
well after trying to edit my video footage i have...

MPEG Encoding
Rendering and opening of MPEG is disabled in the Vegas Movie Studio trial. Buy the full version and get unlimited support to open and save MPEG-1 and MPEG-2.

i aint paying for a program i cant trial out.....

back to the drawing board.

T0rNaDo said:
Ulead Video studio 9 kept crashing for me today.
after trying to edit a bit of video....
going to try the sony program now...

...do try Adobe Premiere Elements .
It is known to be well behaved but so are Sony vegas and Ulead Video Studio Shame it is giving you grieve . Software doesnt always crash because it isnt well written though. Some troubleshooting and fact finding via forums or the Particular companies problems data base may reveal a known driver/ other software conflict.. Not want you want to hear of course but may be true. In the case of Pinnacle Studio, the no of cases crashes occurs suggest that the code is buggy

well i found Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 sitting on my back up hdd. so i installed it and it didnt crash once.
and i sorted my video stuff out and outputted the dvd files to my hdd.....

atleast it worked without crashing.... and allowed me to render mpeg2 unlike the sony program

I went through a similar process of looking at software a couple of months ago. I had already bought Pinnacle Studio 9 but became very frustrated with it. I read that many people have these problems, and similar reports about the Ulead equivalent. I tried the Adobe Premier Elements demo and the Sony Vegas Movie Studio and in the end bought the latter. Very pleased with it so far. Perhaps not such a friendly interface as Studio 9, but at least it works!

Philip

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom