Advice re-duff Sony 42sx200

KiwiUK

Standard Member
Hi All
I have a three year old Sony 42sx200 lcd rear projection tv, this last week it has decided to constantly shut down into standby mode and then start up again. It does this from the time it's switched on every two minutes or so. Grrrr! Wife now fed up and I wondered if anyone here had any ideas what could be causing it? And, what sort of price it might be to fix it? I'm hoping someone has heard/experienced a similar fault and can give me some advice. Thanks :confused:

G

grumpycamel

When it shuts down, does the standby light start flashing red ?

KiwiUK

Standard Member
Hi
Thanks for the reply, yes, it flashes, say once per second, for about 30secs then clicks and the picture is back but then it repeats over and over

Mike-M

Don't know if they do but if they have dust filters they may need cleaning. The stop and start could be because the bulb is overheating

KiwiUK

Standard Member
Hi, thanks for the advice. There are no filters that I can see but I did remove the bulb, there was no dust over the bulb. I opened the back and there was a little dust on the fan, I cleaned it of and crossed my fingers......rats! Still does it!

G

grumpycamel

The red led flashing says either it has a duff bulb or that the bulb has overheated. It could have a a faulty thermocouple but its difficult to say. Sorry I can be of any more help except to suggest to let someone look at it.

KiwiUK

Standard Member
Thanks, I pulled the bulb out but it looks pristine, and very clean. Does anyone know what a bulb that has gone should look like? It will cost me £100 to get a local Sony Authorised repair tech in to check the bulb and then take it away for servicing if it's not that. But, I have tentatively got the missus' permission to upgrade to a 50" if it's gonna cost the best part of £300-400 and sell the duff for spares/repair :clap:

Mike-M

Easy answer then. Tell her it's going to cost £600 to repair and upgrade to the 50"

KiwiUK

Standard Member
Ahh, no! Surely we can't pull the wool over their eyes all the time and hope to get away with it :) Or is it just my missus that always catches me out :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom