Advice re combining PC editing & using DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Bikie, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Bikie

Bikie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My original PC with Adobe Premiere 500 died 2 years ago. Some components in the replacement PC were not compatible and as I only ever used it for basic editing I decided to get another cheaper programme. I've only just got round to doing it and have a trial version of Ulead Videostudio 9. I used S-VHS tapes for the edited version but will now go to DVD.

My wife also has a camcorder but is most definitley not PC minded. She transfers her footage to a VHS recorder, using the pause button to skip any bad bits.

A friend has a Daewoo DVD/VHS combi recorder that copies VHS to DVD and vice-versa plus copying from a camcorder. It includes basic editing and titling Hopefully my wife could cope with that - how technical a job is it?

Could I put my work on DVD by transferring the edited version back to the camcorder and then using the Daewoo to create the DVD, so saving the need for a separate DVD authoring programme? I gather from reading other posts that a separate programme is preferable to the ones that are included in the editing programme.

A final question - feedback on Ulead is 50% "brilliant, easy and stable" and 50% "always crashing, totalyy unstable". At the price I'm willing to give it a try but wonder if the difference is between the download version against the CD one.

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Yes, You can save your edit to tape and transfer it to the DVD recorder.

Two main disadvantages are .

The menu ( if any) will be terribly basic and you may not have a chapter structure to speak of. A bit like recording an audio cassette to cd with no access to indiviual tracks.

Also you are at the mercy of your DVD recorders' mpeg encoding abilities . With any luck it will be acceptable.

Any ease of editing, titling on the DVD recorder are a case of:rtfm: Still I wouldnt hold my breath on anything great resuting from that as the software solutions offer far greater scope.
    Also with a settop recorder it is often easier if it has a built in HDD and these things are done to the footage prior to commiting to disc.

I dont know what the differences are between the trial and full versions ( I have the full version but have uninstalled it) .
    However unlike MovieFactory4 and MovieWorkshop2 ( also from Ulead which I swear by,) I really do not like Video studio in its current form ( not that it crashes) I simply find its user interface untidy :rolleyes: and badly in need of a makeover:D : Maybe version 10:confused:

3. Bikie

Bikie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Senu -= that's given me something to think about. It will probably be good enough for my wife but I need to use a specific DVD writing programme.