Question Advice re. Atmos speaker upgrade

ElectricGeek

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m fairly new to the home cinema game and just wondering if given my room/setup it’s even worth upgrading...

I currently have the Sony STR DH790 AVR
and 5.1 Wharfdale DX-2speaker setup.
My AVR can only do 5.1.2 config.
My home cinema room is fairly small, square shaped, spare bedroom but has fairly high ceilings as a 1900s build. MLP is on sofa along back wall so 7.1 setup not achievable but 5.1 sounds good to me however I guess I just have FOMO having atmos capable receiver and plenty of 4K discs with atmos tracks to try!

my worry is that...

the most convenient option of Front height speakers sitting on L/R won’t reach the ceiling properly to reflect back effectively and would just end up being a waste of money.

Can anyone share their experience of upfiring in high ceiling rooms? and/ or recommend any upfiring speakers to add to my existing setup?

Thanks

Upfiring usually works better the lower the ceiling is (coming from professional installers mouth) so with high ceiling likely is waste of money.

Do you have option to mount height channels for side walls higher up?

Read this short article below and you see the idea behind it, no need to use SVS speakers though.

Upfiring usually works better the lower the ceiling is (coming from professional installers mouth) so with high ceiling likely is waste of money.

Do you have option to mount height channels for side walls higher up?

Read this short article below and you see the idea behind it, no need to use SVS speakers though.

Thanks for that 👍

I’m thinking mounting fairly high using a speaker similar to the SVS could be a good shout now. I’ve had a look at some similar models from DALI, MONITOR etc and noticed that although designed for atmos certified up-firing, when the manufacturers talk about using as height speakers; front, side or rear, they don’t state this is for atmos use?

Forgive me if I’m wrong but csn any speaker not be used for Atmos if positioned high or on/in ceiling? Is it not just a case of configuring the AVR to atmos speaker pattern?

Thanks

Thanks for that 👍

I’m thinking mounting fairly high using a speaker similar to the SVS could be a good shout now. I’ve had a look at some similar models from DALI, MONITOR etc and noticed that although designed for atmos certified up-firing, when the manufacturers talk about using as height speakers; front, side or rear, they don’t state this is for atmos use?

Forgive me if I’m wrong but csn any speaker not be used for Atmos if positioned high or on/in ceiling? Is it not just a case of configuring the AVR to atmos speaker pattern?

Thanks

Yes you can use almost anything. Another pair of DX2 too, but they need to be angled toward MLP. But the Alteco C1, Bronze AMS has keyholes at back and as they are angled already they would be easiest route. Only issue is they aren`t cheap costing almost same as your whole 5.1 package. :laugh:

And you will assign them correctly in the receiver menu, as front heights example if placed high on wall. Your Sony manual will show the options.

@goggles255

I'm using a pair of Boston Soundware XS speakers (£34/pair on ebay, used with cheap speaker mounts from Amazon) in the top front corners of my smallish room and I'm very happy with the result.
The speakers are setup as "Top Front" in the AVR as I found the overall effect slightly better than "Front Height".

It might not be as good as in-ceiling or up-firing speakers in terms of overhead effects but they create a more immersive sound, specially when used with Dolby Surround. :)

41DjmVOfvGL._AC_.jpg

@goggles255

I'm using a pair of Boston Soundware XS speakers (£34/pair on ebay, used with cheap speaker mounts from Amazon) in the top front corners of my smallish room and I'm very happy with the result.
The speakers are setup as "Top Front" in the AVR as I found the overall effect slightly better than "Front Height".

It might not be as good as in-ceiling or up-firing speakers in terms of overhead effects but they create a more immersive sound, specially when used with Dolby Surround. :)

View attachment 1446401
Thanks for ur insight!

I ended up managing to get a pair of onkyo skh410’s second hand from the class fields. Got them for a very decent price so Ideal for my first, inexpensive foray into atmos!

I‘m going to wall mount them above ear level about 2/3 of the way up my front wall in line with my front speakers but still have them up firing. Hoping this will combat the high-ish ceilings and create a bit more height to overall sound. Should make the reflective angle better too.

Looking forward to experimenting with them...

Will also be interested in the results I have 2 pairs of Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Dolby Atmos Add-On
Speakers, currently only using one pair in a 5.1.2 Set up , mounted as front height

43105299-89CB-4C02-B0BD-64B80265AC3F.jpeg
So I’ve now mounted my 2x ONKYO 410’s and I have to say I’ve been pretty impressed so far with the upgrade for the price. I managed to get them £60 + postage and feel for that money it’s been very worth while and now feel at least I’m getting the most channel wise at least out my receiver.
My DX-2 satellite fronts were just too small to sit the modules on so I moved straight to mounting them (they are mounted near enough exactly like the little graphic in the manual depicted).
My ceilings are just over 3 meters in height so do feel having them higher has helped as less for the sound to travel before being bounced back. And it gives a little separation between the base channels. It’s not breathtaking but definitely adds height to the overall sound stage. With rain effects etc I feel it definitely tricks u into thinking it’s above u but it’s a subtle effect. Just feels like a roof of diffused sound is probably the best description I could give. I’ve no doubt in-ceiling or ceiling mounted would be a truer experience but for now this will more than do me. In-ceiling would require a thin false ceiling to house them and having just moved in I’ve not the time nor the energy to convince the wife! lol I’ll quit while I’m ahead here!
Would definitely recommend the onkyo’s for anyone wanting to try out atmos at a basic level and if u’ve high ceiling or just want some separation definitely consider wall mounting. It was very easy also. 👍

I started with the Onkyo’s and as long as all the positioning meets criteria they work very well, the only problem is they sound cheap, you can tell from the moment audyssey starts sending chirps to them.

Try adding 3db for a better affect. That worked for me and still does with my newer Monitor Audio atmos speakers.

Yeah I know what u mean. I don’t have much to compare with as dx-2s the only speakers I’ve ever had but when u run the auto cal’s the dx-2s are far punchier and more solid sounding. I’ll pump up the levels like u say 👍

strange thing was after I ran the auto cal it set them -3 & -4db. It left the L/R channels at 0. I thought this strange, especially as set up on the AMP as Dolby enabled speakers. Sound from them has the furthest to travel surely? Bizarre
Should I pump up 3db from there or to +3db do u think?

Not sure why but it must be correct. I would set them to 0db and -1db respectively. Although the sound kind of travels further as it’s doing 2 sides of a triangle, audyssey measures how quick the sound gets to the mic from the moment it leaves the speaker and not by the route it takes if that makes sense. So generall they aren’t far off from the mains. Mine sit on top of my mains and I think they are all roughly -6db.

Make sure you tell you avr the distance they are placed from the ceiling.

Not sure why but it must be correct. I would set them to 0db and -1db respectively. Although the sound kind of travels further as it’s doing 2 sides of a triangle, audyssey measures how quick the sound gets to the mic from the moment it leaves the speaker and not by the route it takes if that makes sense. So generall they aren’t far off from the mains. Mine sit on top of my mains and I think they are all roughly -6db.

Make sure you tell you avr the distance they are placed from the ceiling.
Thanks, I’ve set them as u suggested. It seems to have measured the distance between the MLP and atmos speakers, not the actual height to the ceiling which is shorter than that. Will it make a difference telling the avr that after auto cal?

Not sure if it makes a difference but it’s not audyssey, it’s Sony’s own D.C.A.C software.

There should be an option in the atmos speaker set up screen where you have to manually tell your AVR the distance between the atmos speakers and the ceiling. Don't alter the measured distance that was done through the calibration process. I've not used Sony before but Denon has this setting. Hopefully another Sony owner maybe able to help.

There should be an option in the atmos speaker set up screen where you have to manually tell your AVR the distance between the atmos speakers and the ceiling. Don't alter the measured distance that was done through the calibration process. I've not used Sony before but Denon has this setting. Hopefully another Sony owner maybe able to help.
I doubt there is such feature on Sony. DCAC is in house software and not as advanced as Audussey.

This guy has the same receiver as goggles25 and he changed the distance figure which is not typically something to be touched. But the only way to know for sure is to try and listen does it sound better, for this guy it did.

But the 3db bump first.

Thanks for sharing that post Gasp3621,

It sounds good to me now with the 3db boost but will experiment with changing the distance for them on the amp. Thanks again 👍

@goggles255

View attachment 1446401
I am just in the process of upgrading my AV system and will have my old Soundware XS speakers spare. I was thinking could I use these for Atmos speakers and saw this post. Interested to hear how you got on with yours?

I am just in the process of upgrading my AV system and will have my old Soundware XS speakers spare. I was thinking could I use these for Atmos speakers and saw this post. Interested to hear how you got on with yours?
@SirStocky I'm getting on fine with them but I don't really have a point of comparison. :)
I find the height speakers to give a more diffused, enveloping sound field, with the very occasional wow moments. ;)
Could be my set-up (including the Bostons) or the stuff I watch.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom