1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice; projector looking washed out

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by inkinoo, Sep 27, 2004.

1. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Hi all,

Wondering if you could offer some advice. We have a Sony HS-20 projecting onto a fixed screen we purchased from ivojo. The problem is the picture just looks washed out and not pin sharp. The lens is perfectly focused and at the moment the main source is Sky+ over S-Video but the washed out look is the same on our DVD via component. Tried playing with colour/brightness/contrast setting but it seems to make very little difference.

Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

G

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Is your screen 'high gain'? ie. above 1.0?
    If so, that could be a problem as most LCD projectors are better used with a unity gain screen.

Are you using the Iris function on the projector, and are you viewing in as dark a room as possible?

How 'washed out' are we talking here? LCD's projectors can't produce absolute black levels, but the HS20 should not look 'washed out'
    I have a Sony HS20 with a 0.95 gain grey screen... and its fab!

3. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Crap, it's a 1.2 gain matte white screen.

Not sure on the iris function but the room is totally pitch black.

My only frame of reference is a Panasonic Plasma and it comes nowhere near that. It just looks devoid of any decent colour/constrast levels.

G

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Realistically it's never going to look as subjectively "good" as a direct view set. It just isn't practical (without a massively powerful ARC lamp as used in Cinemas) to spread the light across a large area to the same intensity as you might get from a TV set (of any type).

However, depending on what you mean by "washed out" there may be some tweaks.

First - your expectation of the blackness of black may not be being met. This may be adjustment or it may be simply limitations of the equipment. Try this:

Take any letterboxed film (ie one where there is some plain black above and below the image as recorded on the disc. Play it. Set the projector to its 4x3 mode so that there are black sides to the image (don't concern yourself if the image is distorted - its only for this setup procedure). Now, compare the darkness of the disc generated areas (above and below) with the darkness of the projector-generated areas (either side).

Increase brightness until you can clearly see the above and below lighter than the sides. Now adjust it downwards until you JUST can't a difference. Now increase it one "notch". This is a rudimentary way to get brightness set correctly.

Contrast should be set to the highest level possible WITHOUT removing detail from bright areas (eg slight variations in shade of clouds, clouds vs. sky etc).

5. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Washed out and not being pin sharp maybe due to condensation forming on the lens.

If you read my thread on the dust/condensation in my HS20, I believe you may have the same thing inside your PJ.

At the moment it hasn't affected my image in anyway, but I am trying to find a safe way of getting in there to clean it because eventually it will symptomise what you describe.