Advice pls - Should I sell/replace my Sony DVP-S725?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Coops666, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Coops666

Coops666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have owned a lovely S725 from new (nearly 7 years old now I think) but although it still plays DVDs well, and reviews show it outclasses a lot of current <£300 players on sound quality, I'm thinking it mat be due for replacement.

The only problem I have with it is a brief pause when switching layers on DVD playback, and this is really starting to bug me. :( It also has limitations with some DVD write formats

I also use it for playing CDs and the performance is very impressive IMO.

I see three options:

• Keep it just for CD playback and buy a cheap DVD player (like a Yamaha DVDS540) for movies
    • Is there something out there that will beat it across audio & video for under £200?
    • Should I wait for the next generation machines (HDMI etc) to come down in price before doing anything?

I don't need onboard 5.1 decoding as my DSP-A1 handles all that but DIVX and a good selection of DVD write formats would be useful.

Thanks in advance

2. thewul

thewul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    most dvd players will freeze at layer change and i dont think there is anything under £200 that will not do this.
    IIRC the denon 2910 and 3910 have a buffer memory to eliminate this but you are talkin double your budget

3. Coops666

Coops666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone else got any views? I've done a little digging around and seen that the Denon DVD 2900 was raved for video & audio quality (and format capability) and seems to not suffer layer freeze. I've seen some on sale for 400-500 so should I stretch this far? Will it give me 4 years+ future proofing?

In case you're wonder why an plder model, most reviews I've seen rate it higher than the 2910.

4. Coops666

Coops666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone ? :confused:

5. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Tosh 340e no layer change pause.

6. acanning

acanning
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a Sony S325 which is a similar vintage to your player. I have been considering a change and have directly compared my player to a Pioneer DV656 which my friend purchased. The Pioneer was better especially through the progressive output but not by a big enough margin to make me want to upgrade my player. Whilst our Sony players may be old I believe they were well designed and built back then and are not completely outclassed by modern budget players. Of course, modern players will be able to play a wider range of formats though.

You mentioned that you would want your replacement player to be future-proofed for four years or so. I’m not an expert but I am aware that towards the end of this year or maybe into 2006 there will be a new generation of true Hi-def DVD players coming onto the market. I have taken the decision to stick with my Sony until then.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ashley

7. Coops666

Coops666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - I'll probably stick with the S725 for now but keep an eye out for a Denon 2900 or something similar since the layer freeze is really getting to me now.

Paul

8. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Coops

I have a 725 and my father has one as well as a pioneer 868. We did the pepsi challenge on both palyers on a 9 foot dlp front pro and a 65' rear pro dlp. The results were surprising to say the least. I expected the new 868 to blow it out of the water. We couldnt tell the difference unless we paused the movie and did a direct comparason. The 868 had slightly less noise, but we are talking a very small difference one that was only noticable in certian scenes and only when paused.

My father wasnt best pleased as he had spent £850 for his 868, he consoled himself with the statement of dvd audio and sacd etc...

I decided to keep my 725 and wait for HD-DVD players and I bought a
    cheap divx player. After all you arent going to get amazing quality with the divx format.

BTW I do see the layer change but its only once per dvd and I am totally used to it.

725 was a great buy. :)

9. Coops666

Coops666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So maybe I just need to get used to the pause and enjoy the quality until the HD market settles down..Flippin heck this gets more difficult than choosing a pc model :suicide:

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I also agree with the above my sony 900v will be staying with me till a good replacement with h/d etc comes on the market at a good price,Just over a year ago i brought a denon 2200 which cost me nearly 500 wonga me thinking it would be much better than my old sony player, the only thing that was better was the absence of layer change suffice to say the denon was sold and the sony put back.I will be getting a new h/d plasma soon and i will still be hanging on a bit till i can be sure that i dont make the same mistake again by getting a lower class dvd player,
    Cheers Gonzo.
    PS i would buy sony again if something suitable comes out.

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508

The sony 900v was the top daddy at the time :thumbsup: A very nice player. Have you looked at DLP rear pro. I have a 65' version :D

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1633578&postcount=331