Advice pls on best possible Movie download Quality - HDR(PDQ)? Bit lost. And where to buy.

chalk40

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning all. I'm a little lost with getting the best quality download to watch and could use some help in identifying the best formats and where to buy/download them from please.

First off, I have a Panasonic GZ2000 that runs well and plays well. It's a vanilla set up and has the built in Atmos. It's a small viewing room.

We watched a copy of Joker last night and the image quality was very good. Everyone commented. Even those who don't care about such things.

In the corner of the screen it said HDR (PDQ). If I look at the file says it is: .x265 10bit HDR AAC5.1 format.

This struck me as a standard to aim at. But can I get better? If I can, what might that be please?

And if this was the best my TV can do, (would not have any problem with that) where can I buy that specification of movie? Say for example the Nolan generation Batman films?

Thinking on, I also saw a serious on Amazon Prime that also showed HDR (PDQ) and that was equally excellent.

Would appreciate some guidance on understanding the formats, best / better / optimum formats. And where to get them from please.

Many thanks in advance. PS Hope this the right forum to be posting in.

Morning all. I'm a little lost with getting the best quality download to watch and could use some help in identifying the best formats and where to buy/download them from please.

First off, I have a Panasonic GZ2000 that runs well and plays well. It's a vanilla set up and has the built in Atmos. It's a small viewing room.

We watched a copy of Joker last night and the image quality was very good. Everyone commented. Even those who don't care about such things.

In the corner of the screen it said HDR (PDQ). If I look at the file says it is: .x265 10bit HDR AAC5.1 format.

This struck me as a standard to aim at. But can I get better? If I can, what might that be please?

And if this was the best my TV can do, (would not have any problem with that) where can I buy that specification of movie? Say for example the Nolan generation Batman films?

Thinking on, I also saw a serious on Amazon Prime that also showed HDR (PDQ) and that was equally excellent.

Would appreciate some guidance on understanding the formats, best / better / optimum formats. And where to get them from please.

Many thanks in advance. PS Hope this the right forum to be posting in.
If you want a digital format [not Blu Ray] then iTunes offers best quality for Picture and Audio formats. When available it is HDR DOLBYVISION OR HDR10 and Audio in ATMOS. Depends on title.

Also for Bit rate AppleTV4k 2021 has by far the most powerful processing capacity and most efficient cache for Streaming.

If you want a digital format [not Blu Ray] then iTunes offers best quality for Picture and Audio formats. When available it is HDR DOLBYVISION OR HDR10 and Audio in ATMOS. Depends on title.

Also for Bit rate AppleTV4k 2021 has by far the most powerful processing capacity and most efficient cache for Streaming.

Thanks Pogg, appreciated.

In fairness I keep looking at the Bluray and then not doing anything about it. Maybe it is time sort that.

AppleTV. Yes I noticed an app had appeared on the Pana in just the last week for that very thing.

Will be having a play tonight with that. Many thanks for advising

One thing to keep in mind, I don’t think you get any extras via Apple TV apps, if you want extras, I believe you can only get them through an actual AppleTV.

Thanks Pogg, appreciated.

In fairness I keep looking at the Bluray and then not doing anything about it. Maybe it is time sort that.

AppleTV. Yes I noticed an app had appeared on the Pana in just the last week for that very thing.

Will be having a play tonight with that. Many thanks for advising
One other thing to bear in mind is that the Panasonic's 'AppleTV' app might only provide access to Apple's AppleTV+ streaming subscription service - essentially this offers a small number of exclusive TV shows plus a very small number of exclusive films - and not allow you to view any individually purchased itunes movies. If that's the case you'd need an AppleTV device or an alternative device such as Roku, Fire TV, etc, which would have the full AppleTV app that is not restricted just to showing the AppleTV+ service - if that all makes sense :)

In any event the AppleTV4K device will provide the best streaming quality - the app on other devices is capped/throttled to max 15MB or thereabouts.

There's a discussion here

and a list of AppleTV app supported devices at

One other thing to bear in mind is that the Panasonic's 'AppleTV' app might only provide access to Apple's AppleTV+ streaming subscription service - essentially this offers a small number of exclusive TV shows plus a very small number of exclusive films - and not allow you to view any individually purchased itunes movies. If that's the case you'd need an AppleTV device or an alternative device such as Roku, Fire TV, etc, which would have the full AppleTV app that is not restricted just to showing the AppleTV+ service - if that all makes sense :)

In any event the AppleTV4K device will provide the best streaming quality - the app on other devices is capped/throttled to max 15MB or thereabouts.

There's a discussion here

and a list of AppleTV app supported devices at
Hello, the App on Panasonic OS is capped or on AppleTV4k device?
Many have reported 30mbps+ Via AppleTV4k which is much better then Netflix [maximum 15.25mbps].

Apologies folks, appreciate your replies .... I'd forgotten I'd duplicated the posting.

Yes this is great advice and I'm going to invest in one of these for sure. Right now in fact. If it improves upon the impressive performance of the Shield unit I'll be a happy man. Ironically when the GZ was installed, I now remember installing HDMI fibre leads between the set and the cupboard the boxes are installed in via under plaster trunking .... a pain and a misery to install into our engineering brick walls but now about to pay back

Still not sure why the Panasonic app only allowed Apple content rather than streamed movies but suspect that may be more to do with my permissions or account set up.

Will report back how we get on but have to say the early doors appear impressive. Many thanks for taking the time to reply with solid advice. And again apologies for the slow replies.

And it's ordered! But blimey, the lead time ..... best found was Amazon (Apple Store) with an estimated lead time between Jan 18th and Feb 5th I think it was. I imagined to have had it tomorrow and be reporting back to you Sunday.

Not exactly blistering delivery performance but all the same, a 64GB unit of 21 spec on order.

Never been an Apple guy, in fact never ordered a thing from them.

The set up of the Apple TV was clunky to say the least. In part maybe because of the disparity between the Pana Apple TV app and the Shield version. Also in part as Apple seems to ignore part of the Dashlane password manager and then indulge in some of it. It also expressed discomfort with the Android phone we tried. From what I know of Apple, that might be understandable. And a less than compelling lead time on product.

But in fairness, the picture quality in the sample we have tried was very solid indeed. And just what we were looking for. Sound less so but we didn't try any options, it was 'out the box' so to speak .... could have been a setting on the shield device. But felt far from Atmos.

I think as you have said in both posts, that the box solution will only add to that experience. I'm sure that's the case and look forward to it.

Have to confess to having ignored Prime video options for years but have become a regular user of it the last couple of years. But not so many titles with high quality playback. Seems odd.

I also tried Netflix UHD for a month earlier this year (for one specific thing .... the F1 series) but have been underwhelmed by content ever since and cancelled. Note for anyone considering this, they pester the life out of you with offers of the UHD for £5.99 per month as opposed to £13.99 per month.

But the Apple TV content looks significantly better. I have a feeling we will be sticking with this one.

Hi all, is it true to say that

“The picture & sound quality using an 2nd Gen ATV 4K Box will be be better than using the ATV+ App that is built into the TV”

Thanks

Hi all, is it true to say that

“The picture & sound quality using an 2nd Gen ATV 4K Box will be be better than using the ATV+ App that is built into the TV”

Thanks

Hi MSW .... it's been a while. Would you say the same true for the sound side of things?

The movie we tried was Batman Dark Knight. The image was very compelling and for sure I can 100% support the advice given by the guys here to invest in the box ..... and I have.

Would you say the same to be true sound wise?

It will feed a 55" Panasonic GZ2000 with the built in Atmos bar. It's in a secondary room not set up with proper surround sound. The GZ2000 has the normal 9 small speaker thing built in and we added a mid range sub woofer .... I forget the name.

The movie didn't really project as well as I thought it might measured to Joker or something like Tenet.

It could be the settings on the Shield device. But would be great if the Apple delivers on sound the way it does on video.

Hi MSW .... it's been a while. Would you say the same true for the sound side of things?

The movie we tried was Batman Dark Knight. The image was very compelling and for sure I can 100% support the advice given by the guys here to invest in the box ..... and I have.

Would you say the same to be true sound wise?

It will feed a 55" Panasonic GZ2000 with the built in Atmos bar. It's in a secondary room not set up with proper surround sound. The GZ2000 has the normal 9 small speaker thing built in and we added a mid range sub woofer .... I forget the name.

The movie didn't really project as well as I thought it might measured to Joker or something like Tenet.

It could be the settings on the Shield device. But would be great if the Apple delivers on sound the way it does on video.

It has been a while, I’m sorry as well because (Not unusually perhaps) my post was worded badly.

I am actually trying to find out if their is any meaningful benefit to having an ATV rather than using my TV’s ATV’s App. I think my post came across that rather than asking a question I was making a stateme to.

All above said, logically it makes so much sense that both sound and vision would be better.

Vision would be better due to higher bitstream
Sound would be better due to increased Dolby Atmos availability (Although you would need to be using Earc from your TV to a Dolby Atmos system.

All of above said, I have just ordered an ATV 4k 2nd Gen from Argos and pick same up today at 4pm

Happy New Year to you as well

It has been a while, I’m sorry as well because (Not unusually perhaps) my post was worded badly.

I am actually trying to find out if their is any meaningful benefit to having an ATV rather than using my TV’s ATV’s App. I think my post came across that rather than asking a question I was making a stateme to.

All above said, logically it makes so much sense that both sound and vision would be better.

Vision would be better due to higher bitstream
Sound would be better due to increased Dolby Atmos availability (Although you would need to be using Earc from your TV to a Dolby Atmos system.

All of above said, I have just ordered an ATV 4k 2nd Gen from Argos and pick same up today at 4pm

Happy New Year to you as well

Solid point MSW, I'd forgotten about the eARC which is currently linked to a 4k Freesat Box. Could be a problem. But I guess some switching would be ok ..... The Freesat box is the main go-to for day to day stuff, the Apple box will be movie night stuff. Is a good call to mention though. Cheers for that.

I should have took the Argos route. And you know what .... I'm going to check that out right now and maybe cancel the Amazon/Apple one .... wife is at wife and could collect. Is an excellent idea.

Yes a happy new year to you as well sir. Good to see you still around. And thanks for the advice

Edit: bad high street news .... none in our Argos or any in the region, for collect or delivery. And seems the same for John Lewis and Currys. Absolutely worth a check mind.

Edit: bad high street news .... none in our Argos or any in the region, for collect or delivery. And seems the same for John Lewis and Currys. Absolutely worth a check mind.

My local John Lewis had them in stock on Wed of this week, might be worth a call depending on how near you are to them.

My local John Lewis had them in stock on Wed of this week, might be worth a call depending on how near you are to them.

You absolutely right MSW .... just checking in store stock now and several locations have the 64Gb one. Unfortunately not quite close enough to warrant a trip but is definitely the case they are available. Good call.

Unless you plan to download loads of apps, 32Gb is really all you need if that’s a better bet stock-wise.

Unless you plan to download loads of apps, 32Gb is really all you need if that’s a better bet stock-wise.
Good point Goooner ..... a weakness in my personality, I always pick the biggest box! Biscuits or AV things. Not always a great idea. And as it goes I'm not sure download will play a huge part in the strategy, especially as we have huge QNAP NAS configuration for that sort of thing.

Happy days .... although the Apple store on Amazon said could be up till Feb 5th for the Apple box to arrive, just got an email saying it's here tomorrow! That's quite a delta or margin of error .... nearly a month.

Very interested see how this one pans out. I'm confident it's going to be solid result.

Happy days .... although the Apple store on Amazon said could be up till Feb 5th for the Apple box to arrive, just got an email saying it's here tomorrow! That's quite a delta or margin of error .... nearly a month.

Very interested see how this one pans out. I'm confident it's going to be solid result.
You need the correct HDMI cable for 4K DOLBYVISION

You need the correct HDMI cable for 4K DOLBYVISION
Thanks for the advice Pogg.

I've got a fiber HDMI cable between box and TV. In fact I think from memory all the HDMI's are fiber on that set after experiencing a problem getting a VM V6 box to talk to the same telly.

Using a fiber one made it go away so I've stuck with them since that frustration.

Thanks for the advice Pogg.

I've got a fiber HDMI cable between box and TV. In fact I think from memory all the HDMI's are fiber on that set after experiencing a problem getting a VM V6 box to talk to the same telly.

Using a fiber one made it go away so I've stuck with them since that frustration.
When you get the AppleTV you can go to settings and run Check HDMI connection.

When you get the AppleTV you can go to settings and run Check HDMI connection.

Hi Pogg. Yes I did that and looked at other options but it looks like the Panasonic had already passed all it's audio and video Dolby credentials across.

Have to say I've never liked the approach, cache and upgrade hell path of Apple as an organisation.

But I have to say I'm very impressed at the hardware and the media quality and selection of AppleTV. In particular the Dolby Atmos content. It's found a decent place in my small selection of connected TV devices.

And given it has all the normal on demand apps including Now TV, then it could cause me to pension off the Roku .... a device that had otherwise done a sterling shift mainly on NowTv.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom