1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nl1974, Oct 19, 2003.

1. nl1974

nl1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, first post and new to home cinema stuff. some advice needed. Was planning to go down the dvd recorder route , but confused about dvd-/+/ram Was looking at the Philips dvdr70 as a cheap entry into dvd recording.
    So whats the better / most compatable with other dvd players so i can record something and watch at a friends etc.
    Failing that i'll just go for a new dvd player but a little stuck on what one to go for
    Sony DVPNS 705
    Sony DVPNS 905
    PIONEER DV565A
    I know i'am going from one to the other but havent made my mind up on which to go for, player or recorder.:confused
    any advice to help me decide will be great
    Thanks
    Neil

2. disco dude

disco dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the panasonic e50, brilliant recorder with quality build and ease of use.
    I was in your situation a couple of weeks ago but opted for the panasonic.
    Hope this helps.

3. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Panny is by far the best as far as i am concerned. However you state that you want to play your "recordings" on other machines. Recordings made on a Panny RAM disc will not play in a standard DVD player. Except for some of the more recent RAM compatible players that are now available. So the chances are that your recording will not play at your friends house.

However. The Panny machines also record to DVD-R (Write once discs that can't be edited afterwards) These discs are extreemely compatible and will almost certainly play on a friends machine. The problem is though you would have to decide beforehand which program you would want to play on another machine and then use a DVD-R disc as opposed to a RAM disc for your recording.

As for the Plus format. If you havent already located the forum shown below. Give it a visit and if that doesn't put you off the Philips + format nothing will. Complaint after complaint after complaint.

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/forum/ikonboard.cgi

The Panny machines are reliable and great and easy to use if you can overcome the almost zero compatibility of the RAM discs and use DVD-Rs instead. Highly recommended.......

As for buying a Player ot recorder. Well. A recorder is both. Go for a recorder they are just plain fantastic. Happy shopping.

4. nl1974

nl1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys , but i've decided on the pioneer 565 player . Been trying to justify why i really need a recorder as it only gets used for the wife and her soaps anyway.

"sorry dear, we cant tape eastenders now we dont have a recorder" HE HE :clap: