Advice Please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by martence, Jan 13, 2008.

1. martence

martence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i am considering buying the toshiba hd-ep35 and was thinking of replacing my av receiver as it is incorporated into my dvd system (all-in-one-
    LHT550TB) would this be a good choice - Sony STR-DG510 ?
    i was also wondering if i couls use the speakers i got with the sys
    (LG LHS-55TBS) 2 front 2 rear 1 center (
    stripped bare wire ends)

all this would be hooked up to a samsung PS-50q96hd

any help would be appreciated

2. rwniel

rwniel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    The STR-DG510 isn't a bad amp given it's price but it isn't really that good match for your EP35 IMO as it doesn't allow for sound over hdmi or have separate multichannel RCA inputs. That means you're losing out on some of the high definition sound formats from your EP35 like TrueHD.

I haven't been able to find any specs for the speakers supplied with the LG LHS-55TBS; you should see if there is anything written on them for their maximum rated power and impedance. I would suspect that a typical standalone av amp/receiver might end up driving them too hard though.

As your budget sounds like it's tight, you might want to consider something like the Yamaha AV61; it consists of the Yamaha RXV361 Receiver and the NSP110 5.1 Speaker surround package. Also worth considering is the Denon DHT1356-XP (which is a package consisting of the AVR-1306 receiver and SYS-56HT surround sound speakers). You'd connect the EP35 via hdmi to the television and then use 3 pairs of RCA phono cables to the amp; it would maximise the capabilities of your player and television that way.

Robert