Advice Please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by martence, Jan 13, 2008.

1. martence

martence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i am considering buying the toshiba hd-ep35 and was thinking of replacing my av receiver as it is incorporated into my dvd system (all-in-one-
    LHT550TB) would this be a good choice - Sony STR-DG510 ?
    i was also wondering if i couls use the speakers i got with the sys
    (LG LHS-55TBS) 2 front 2 rear 1 center (
    stripped bare wire ends)

all this would be hooked up to a samsung PS-50q96hd

any help would be appreciated

2. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,969
    Hi mate :)
    For receivers post here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44
    Speakers:http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45
    :thumbsup:

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    You may want to look in the classifieds, there may be some bargains to be had because people now want AV receivers with HDMI on them. Also, Richer Sounds seem to offer some decent options for around £100.

If you'd be happy with Dolby Digital sound, you may may want to look at the EP30 and save some money.

Also note, the EP30 and EP35 are not multi region for SD DVDs.

Edit: Just to be clear, make sure whatever amp you get either has an optical coax input (for the EP30 or 35), or 6ch inputs (for the EP35), or HDMI 1.3 (more money though).

4. martence

martence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the av receiver i was looking at buying is the Sony STR-DG510 which has 2 hdmi input and 1 output i have found it for £145 i was just wondering if this was a gud choice for the ep35 and if i could use my old speakers with the receiver which are bare wire connections :)

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    You could probably use your old speakers, bare wires no problem but be careful with the power - these AV amps may be much more powerful than your combo unit.

I don't think that Sony can handle audio via HDMI and has no 6ch inputs so you'd be limited to connecting it via optical which is fine but you'd be wasting you money on the EP35, you may as well get the EP30.

6. martence

martence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the speakers say they have a max power of 140w would this be ok for the power output?

so if i got the ep30 and the sony amp how would i go about hooking this all up together sorry im abit new to this :)

just would like an opinion on the setup which would be -

Toshiba HD-EP30 (HD-DVD Player)
    Sony STR-DG510 )AV Receiver AMP)
    LG LHS-55TBS (5.1 Speakers)
    PS-50Q96HD (50" HD Samsung Plasma)

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    HDMI from EP30 to TV.

Optical coax lead from EP30 to Sony Amp.

The only issue you may have is the subwoofer - you very likely need an active sub (ie one with a built-in amp).

8. martence

martence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is the speakers i have got as can see i have a sub woofer just forgot about it as id disconnected it cause the neighbors complained lol hopefully this speaker set-up shud b ok ?

2 x right/left channel speaker - external - 70 Watt - 150 - 20000 Hz ¦ 2 x right/left rear channel speaker - external - 70 Watt - 150 - 20000 Hz ¦ 1 x centre channel speaker - external - 70 Watt - 150 - 20000 Hz ¦ 1 x subwoofer - external - 150 Watt - 40 - 1500 Hz