Advice please

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by jayacee, Feb 16, 2003.

1. jayacee

jayacee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of moving my T.V. and Satellite box to the other side of the living room but my Sat cable is not long enough.

Rather than join an extension( which i've heard is not a good idea anyway) I want to replace the whole cable from the LNB, so there are no joins.

Is this a straightforward job or is it a bit too difficult for the not so handyman type like myself.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    =============================================

1.Make sure you get some decent sat cable, NOT ordinary RF cable.

2. The connector plugs 'screw' onto the cable. These are a really naff design! Make sure you prepare cable ends neatly.

3. Get some proper Self Amalgamating Tape to seal LNB connection, or water ingress will slowly kill your LNB.

4. Avoid sharp bends in cable, and crushing when using cable clips.

5. Route cable carefully, carpet gripper can give a short if cable is damaged.

Hope this helps

3. jayacee

jayacee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice.

4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some useful advice on this page about fitting "F" connectors and such like. Complete tutorial with photographs. :)

Fman

5. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jayacee, I had the same problem of moving the Digi box to another room, I got the F connectors from the local B&Q store and the satellite cable and clips from screw fix the cable cost me £10.99 for 100 metres for new customers it's free delivery, and it just works fine you get a good feeling afterwards that you did it yourself.

6. jayacee

jayacee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice. I have just finished the job in hand and am pleased to say that all is in good working order.

Thanks again

John