Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Advice please

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by dude 1, Oct 28, 2002.

1. dude 1

dude 1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am presently touring with the idea of purchasing the new sony ip55 micro mv camcorder. this model has caught my eye as,
    1, it is very small and compact.
    2. it has a very good spec and quality build,
    I am also curious as to what is meant by "USB STREAMING"
    and if this is a useful feature?
    Any imformation regarding this camera and my question would be greatly appreciated.

dude 1:)

2. reesy

reesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dude

Just got one of these cameras, but had to send it back, as the Network Setup menu did nothing, none of the touchscreen buttons work - so check yours when you get it. Sony just said 'yep, bug, send it back for a replacement'

Waiting for one now. Otherwise, very pleased with it.

USB Streaming is the ability to use the camera as a webcam, when it's connected to your PC via a USB connection. (expensive webcam!!)

Let me know if you want to know anything else, however I haven't had chance to connect it to the PC yet, waiting for the new one to come.

Steve

3. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is the usb stream a feature of the camera or software?

4. reesy

reesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike

There's a USB stream mode on the camera, but I'm not sure if it's requires the supplied software (Pixela ImageMixer) to function. As soon as I get it back, I'll try and connect it up to the PC and play with that side of things.

Hopefully it'll work with something like CUSeeMee straight away.

Steve

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What software do they ship with the IP55 Reesy - is it Movieshaker 3.1?

I've got the IP5 and it's been a nightmare getting the stuff on to the PC.

Cheers
    OG

6. reesy

reesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OG, yes Movie Shaker it is (not sure of the version as I don't have it at the moment, and didn't get round to installing it before it went back).

What problems were you having?
    From the research I did prior to purchase, I gathered you could capture the video using movie shaker, then bung it through xmuxer, which then means you can use in things like Premiere. Tell me it's not more difficult than that please...though even that is a pain...

Steve

7. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    reesy we hope you get 3.2 ;)

i found an mmv to mpg convertor OG btw

8. reesy

reesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately it's 3.1. However managed to convert the mmv to mpg with xmuxer no problem and it works fine in Premiere.

The USB Streaming is camera based, just installed the USB driver and it did indeed work first time in Netmeeting, nothing else required.

Now to start really playing....:)

Steve

9. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whered you get the prog youre using to convert mmv2mpg

10. reesy

reesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike

XMuxer (Shareware) from
    http://www.moonlight.co.il/products/Xmux.shtml

Haven't had chance to play too much with it yet, but everything worked first time, i.e. clicked file, clicked start, out pops and Mpeg file, which Premiere read in.

Quality I can't vouch for yet. I have access to a DV camera too, so will start comparing the quality.

Steve

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problems I'm having are with Movieshaker.

When I tried it on my Win98 machine the quality was v poor. Installed on my XP machine it goes through the motions of capturing but doesn't produce a file, you press STOP CAPTURE and that's it, nothing happens, no file, no nothing!

I switched to Studio 8 and on the first tape I tried I got a good quality capture and burned the 5gb file to SVCD on 2 disks. The quality when played back through the DVD player was good and the whole process was relatively hassle free so all in all I was happy with Studio 8.

When I tried to do tape #2 the capture went OK, again producing a 5gb'ish file but Studio wouldn't detect the scenes properly, it was basically taking an age so you cancel out and it says the whole movie was only 4 mins long. I left the scene detection running last night thinking that might solve it. Came in this morning and the process had completed fully but the movie is still not the full 60 mins it's only 5 mins long.

With Studio 8 you can turn off scene detection for DV but not for MicroMV, if you could I'm sure it would work fine.

I may do some more playing with Movieshaker (I've read that you can get Movieshaker 3.11 from Sony which solves some of the quality issues but I've not been able to track down a copy). If I can get a good capture out of it I've got a mate with Premier so I'll give that and XMuxer a try.

Metric - can you let me know which mmv to mpg convertor you're using please.

Reesy - it seems that it's only a ball ache because Movieshaker is crap. If 3.11 is better then problem solved, if not then a future upgrade to Studio 8 may help. Failing that, my IP5 is reluctantly gonna have to go. I may as well have a Hi8 and use my Terapin VCD recorder.....

12. reesy

reesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OG, the version I got was 3.11. I'll copy the CD if you like, let me have some details so I can get it to you.

I had no problems capturing from movieshaker, however I did keep it very simple as it was my first time with it, and just used the batch capture to bring in a couple of clips. That it did fine, quality was ok. Having used premiere for a while my preference is to work with that, so I just xmuxed the clips and chucked them in to premiere. Quality was great. I have yet to export anything from premiere with them, as the rendering time was large due to the de/re-compression it needs to do everytime. (It's so much easier working with uncompressed AVI's, despite the space requirements)

Steve

13. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dude. sorry to hijack your thread.

Reesy will give it a go, my currently method is, grab in movieshaker, export as mmv, use mmv2mpg to convert into mpg then build in a package (studio8 or premier(not use yet)) then convert to ntsc using tmpg or whatever its called... finally burn to dvd, takes hours on my p900 cube, will switch to the p1.8 dell at the weekend to see if much faster.

OG the file is called mmv2mpg i cant find the url, but i know i bookmarked it on my home laptop.

PS 3.11 allows saving out as mpg

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the offer Steve, I've pm'd you the details - much appreciated.

I'll do a quick search for it Metric, thanks.