Advice please

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by fatfingers73, May 8, 2007.

1. fatfingers73

fatfingers73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    The wife's just given me an 80gb ipod that came with her new mobile (bless her), I've only got about 100 albums I want to put on it, should I use apples lossless (I want the best quality)?

If I do will I be restricted to playing my tunes on pc/ipod or can I still stream to my 360 or play on the PS3?

Many thanks. :)

2. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,516
    Apple lossless (ALAC) will give you the best quality on an iPod, but it's probably overkill if it's only for portable use. It will also soon fill up the HDD, especially if plan to keep some videos on there too. You could rip to a high bitrate MP3 (320, using the LAME encoder), this will sound almost as good on an ipod and will also ensure maximum compatibility for your music - so you can use the files on other devices, such as streaming to your 360 or PS3, as MP3 is universally supported (although there are ways of streaming ALAC to a 360 using some different server software, but i would not go there for now).

The best option though would be to archive all your CD's on your PC in a lossless format. But FLAC is arguably the best lossless codec, as it's supported by more manufacturers and also supports gapless playback better than ALAC etc. Then you can put your CD's away safely and just convert the FLAC tunes you want to MP3, ALAC, or whatever you devices (and future devices) might require. This will future proof and ensure your collection is the highest possible quality, safe and flexible as you will only ever had to go through the process of ripping your CD's once. 100+ CD's can take a long long time, so it's best to get it right first time.

3. fatfingers73

fatfingers73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155

Thanks for the advice, I wont be using this ipod for videos or portability (got psp and smaller ipod for that). I'll probably get a Denon dock to connect to my 1907 receiver, that's why I wanted the best quality.

Do you still think FLAC will be better than ALAC for me? can I put FLAC straight onto the ipod or do I need to convert it?

Many thanks.

4. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,516
    No, the iPod won't play FLAC sorry.

The best option might be to rip to ALAC and use www.TVersity.com for streaming to the 360. I believe TVersity will convert the files 'on the fly' to a format the 3600 can play before sending them. Might cause you problems having ALAC with PS3 are other devices though. Probably still better to have a separate archive in FLAC if you have the HDD room.

Of course by far the best thing to do is get the new ipod on eBay and use the money to buy a Squeezebox 3 if you are not going to use it out and about.

5. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    The 360 will play directly from the ipod by connecting it to the 360 USB port and downloading a free utility from the marketplace.

The 360 will not play DRM protected songs (purchased from itunes).