1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by paiger, Jan 22, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am considering entering the world of projectors and would like some advice if you would be so kind.

1. My local school has just bought a Sony LCD projector for about £1500. It is very noisy and I would find it unsuitable for home use. Are they all noisy? Are the more expensive ones quieter etc?

2. Can I paint my wall a certain colour and bin the TV? What about performance in daylight with the curtains open? Is it similar to TV? Do I need a TV as well in certain circumstances?

3. How do I go about connecting Digibox, DVD, VCR, PS2 etc. up to it, considering it's across the room? Do I need a seperate processor of some sort that has one lead to the projector?

All advice appreciated.

Steve

2. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve
    Not all projectors are noisy I have Sony lcd (VPL-W10HT) which I do not find distracting even in quiet scenes. Price is about £3500.
    You can paint your wall preferably grey to improve contrast although mine was a yellow colour for some time until my screen arrived.
    You will need to keep your TV as it can be expensive to run a projector as long as a TV on account of having to replace the bulb after 2000hrs in my case (if I'm lucky) at a cost of about £400.
    Make sure that the projector you buy can handle all the inputs for the equipment that you mentioned and in the signal formats output buy the equipment or your will signal converting equipment or cables. If you can't put the cables under the floor you will need to put them into some kind of trunking.
    As for the processor I'm sure there is something available but it won't be cheap.
    Regards
    Dave

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks. So a projector system is not really a TV replacement? Does anyone use one as such and how practical is it? I like the idea but think I may go for a plasma instead, can't afford both.

S

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I do not have a tv in my lounge. Only my video projection screen.

The orientation of my living room is such that it doesn't get direct sunlight, except in summer. It isn't really possible to watch mine in bright summer afternoons with the curtains closed due to the light but I do have a large window through to my kitchen which the light pours through on to the screen. If this were a wall like most homes it'd probably be acceptable for very casual viewing of the news etc.

I would also point out I use an old CRT data projector. New LCD/DLP models would have even less of an issue with this.

Gordon

P.S I have a normal 21" TV in the bedroom just in case...

5. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    I now have no other tv in the house.
    I find no problems.
    It makes us watch trash less often and makes good telly more of an event.
    The only thing that's worse is teletext but that's because my old telly had the absolute best teletext system ever!

I pull the curtains if I'm watching during bright days. The only thing I watch during the day is sport though.

Overall, I would think you could manage just fine. Especially if you don't want to get into the habbit of just switching the telly on for the sake of it.

HTH
    Alex