Question advice please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by edd handforth, Feb 1, 2018.

1. edd handforth

edd handforth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    which is the best centre speaker for clarity i have a sony 1050 av that is easy to use but we are both getting old hearing not so good (80s) though this may be the economic way to go . presently using b&w centre

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,250
    Generally, as you get older it is high frequencies that drop out. Consequently, I would suggest a brighter Center Speaker.

Technically, you want the Center to match the Front, but exceptions can be made.

I would suggest you look at Monitor Audio or Tannoy speakers, and possibly Klipsch, but Klipsch seem hard to come by. While not excessive, these tend to be a bit brighter.

Do you have a BUDGET in mind for this new speaker?

Also, in your AV Receivers menus you should be able to individually control the varous speakers. Try bumping up the volume on the Center speaker a few Decibels. That could give you the boost you need.

Also were is your Center speaker placed. Being boxed in on a shelf is not the best.

Also, the Center position can effect the timing of the speaker relative to each other. Try moving the Center Forward an inch or two and see if that effects the sound.

Also some amps allow you to go into the menus and tweak the Equalization. Try boosting the upper midrange and treble a bit, and see if that helps.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  3. edd handforth

edd handforth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Steve thanks for your reply. have bumped up the sound to max also changed the freq .and yes you are its nicely on a shelf just below the TV but am resticted as to where i can place it. monitor audio seems good as they always seem to get good write ups. new one or fleabay makes me nervy however Thank you for your help

4. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    The Sony contains powerful amps - have you really set the centre speaker volume to maximum? Can I ask what Left, Right & Centre speakers you're currently using?

I am investigating a similar problem (i.e. TV neither loud nor sufficiently clear enough for listener/viewer). I suspect, in many cases, a point is reached where headphones become the best solution for the listener, others in the room - and possibly neighbours too.

It's not uncommon to see brand new centre speakers selling at clearance prices:

Acoustic Energy AE107 (Satin Black) Centre Speaker
    Open Box - Q Acoustics 3090C - Black Leather - Ref: 615771
    https://www.hifix.co.uk/speakers/home-cinema-speakers/centre-speakers

...so you may be able to avoid pre-owned.

A left-field option may be 'sound guns' (don't know the technical name) which are highly, highly directional speakers aimed at the listener. Only the person they're directed at tends to hear much sound. Sometimes used by stage illusionists and pranksters!

5. edd handforth

edd handforth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    HI Dogfonos. have bumped up the centre to 10 and altered the feq to max almost .my side speakers are B&W 901 that i sometimes use for music and are quite good, its begining to look like new centre speaker . however thank you for taking the time to respond Edd

6. edd handforth

edd handforth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    sorry B&W cm1 Edd Sorry its an age problem that i may cure tonight with 94million

7. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Yes, by all accounts the B&W CM1 are nice speakers indeed.

In post#1, I initially missed that you are using a B&W centre speaker - is that the B&W CM centre speaker? If so, I wouldn't expect any of my suggestions listed in post#4 to sound any clearer/louder. In fact, I'm not sure any other decent quality centre speaker would make that much of a sonic difference to you.

Could it be that your B&W centre speaker is faulty? Do you sit back a long way from the speakers and TV? Or could it be the infernal mumbling that passes as 'realistic' dialogue in some of today's TV dramas (I'm afraid no speaker will help with that)?