Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Advice please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by locutus, Feb 22, 2005.

1. locutus

locutus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have been using a Pioneer dsc-330 all-in-one system but recently the dvd component failed.
    I have since purchased a seperate dvd player and am using a digital 5.1 feed back into the DSC-330 for surround decoding from dvd's.
    In the meantimte the DCS-330 is still being used for regular home theatre stuff such as tv and x-box.
    What I would like to do is replace the DCS-330 with an AV amp/receiver. However i would like to keep the slimline passive sub that came with the DSC-330 as I live in a flat and it provides nice bass without annoying my neighbours.
    My problem is that most amps seem to only do preout for the sub where I would need just a regular connection to the passive sub.
    I have a budget of about £300-350 so any recommendations would be gratefully received. I have DD, DTSa nd PL2 decoding at the moment so would like an amp that does all those.

Thanks in advance

2. locutus

locutus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    errr anyone?

3. locutus

locutus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So no advice
    Great that leaves me stuck!

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    I am not aware of any seperates system that has a powered LFE channel - the only systems that tend to use passive subs these days are the all-in-one options.

I cannot think of any suitable suggestion of a work arround for replacing the amp without replacing the sub.

Another concern which I would have is that my personal past experiences with all-in-ones is that the speakers are not anywhere near the rating they claim to be. I connected the speakers from my old system as temporary rears to my Denon 2805 (100watts) and though the all-in-one speakers were supposidly 120 watts they distorted on any sound above -65 db.

Sorry that I couldnt be of more help

5. locutus

locutus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.
    I guess I may have to look at a speaker change as well. Will have to see if there are any good packages at the moment.