advice please

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by clancol, Oct 22, 2004.

1. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm looking to buy a pre amp processors combo and I’m looking at second hand units. I've got about £1500 to spend and I’ve been checking out ebay and other ex dem web sites.

I have Mordaunt short speakers and i'm happy with them but they do seem a little bright when playing music with my Marantz Av amp.
    I'm looking to get a warmer fuller sound that’s good with music as well as movies.

I don't have the right room for 6.1,7.1 so Ex/Es is not important

I have a Dv79 and I was looking at a tagAV32 r processor. With either the tag 5 channel amp, the Rotel, or whatever I can get hold off for a good price.

What do you all recommend?
    Has any one used ebay to buy this sort of stuff.
    I could do with my confidence building when it comes to ebay.

Also there seems to be a lot of meridian processors about,
    Can some one tell me what ones are worth looking at and which ones are not worth it?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    The basic AV32R can be had at very good prices currently,and obviously later models(192 bypass and DP models) can be more expensive,but the basic one should be under £1k,and depsite all the uncertainties recently,is still supported,and for any advice there etc,have a trip round to the TAG forum here.
    If using ebay for any processor,TAG,Meridian or whatever,be very careful,as there are currently a lot of crooks around,especially in the upper end of the market....look out for zero feedback sellers,anyone requesting wire transfer etc,and goods not in the UK.
    In short,ask to see the item,get the serial no's checked,and collect in person with cash on delivery.

I would also say that TAG's can sound bright if the ancillaries are that way inclined,but even with Krells and B&W's here,I have no such problems,just plenty of power,and detail.

Meridians I'm less familiar with,but someone else will drop in and contribute no doubt!

You may also want to take a look at Rotel,Myryad,and by all means look at ebay and exdem to see whats on offer,and what sort of prices are being met.