1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Please

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by rocketboots, Jul 7, 2004.

1. rocketboots

rocketboots

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya all,

I want to get involved in photography and am basically starting from scratch.

I would estimate my budget at between £500-600. I would like to get proficient at photo taking and look to make an interesting hobby out of it.

I am eager to learn and the type of photo's i would like to take would be sporting, landscape and basically everyday life. I would like to take all sorts of photos ranging from close-up to far-away.

What camera would offer me this facility? Would a digital SLR be of use to me?

I have windows 98, so would this operating system handle what i want to do and what sort of printer do i require and what price could a decent printer cost?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have been told about the Minolta A1, Sony F717, Panasonic DMC-F210, Minolta Z1, Nikon D70 and Canon EOS 300.

Any other camera models that you suggest would be of help.

Many Thanks

Rob

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    A digital SLR will be a push at that cost - based on what you want to do I'd suggest looking at the Canon "G" range

Not sure how strict your budget is but remember to factor in cost of extra batteries and definitely extra memory, which can be a large part of your budget.

The G5 is a high end digital "compact" camera offering full manual controls and a 4x optical zoom and appears quite well rated. Have a look at that and compare to other cameras you may see.

3. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    OK, to answer a couple of your other questions (should have read the thread properly).

Win 98 should be OK but check when you buy the camera, if the camera isn't compatible then you can always buy a card reader for the type of card your camera takes, just make sure that the one you buy is compatible with Win 98.

Haven't got any recommendations on printers, there is a large variation in cost. All my prints are done by normal developers like boots etc.

4. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    I really wouldnt worry about getting an SLR just yet besides you would need to double your budget anyway by the time you had added on lenses, memory cards and a printer.

Start off with a good compact and work you way up. As with most things electrical, a general rule of thumb is the more you pay the more you get and a budget of £500-600 will get you quite a lot. I personally have a SLR (Canon EOS-10D) so it has been quite a while since I last took a serious look at the compact market but I regulary see photos posted on my website that have been taken with a small handful of cameras that look excellent. These are the Canon G5, Minolta A1, Minolta A2 and a number of the Nikon Coolpix range. All of these cameras would do what you want. As for Windows 98, so far I have not come across a camera that does not come with a Windows 98 driver so I doubt you will have any problems with whatever camera you buy.

As for a printer, sorry, I cant help. I havent printed a photo out for over a year now and instead just get the ones I want printed by Photobox or other such printer. If you intend to print a lot of photos then getting your own printer is well worth it. If however you only intend printing the odd one or two here and there you may wll find its cheaper to get them printed for you like I do.

5. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    You could just make the 300D for that price (with a lens too):

http://www.digitalfirst.co.uk/camdetail.asp?cat=Cameras&ProdID=1152

Plus a £100 rebate from Canon:

"All claimants must be UK residents (or Eire) Aged 18 or over.

Following the receipt of the original voucher fully and correctly completed Canon will send a cheque for £100 or 148 Euros.
    all claims sent to Canon PO Box 4. Rugby, CV21 1RU.
    purchase must be made between June 1st 2004 and 31st July 2004. Closing day for receipt - 27th August.
    Queries re this offer - phone 0800 975 9818"

But that would leave no money for memory cards/spare batteries/printer - you dont say if the printer needed to be funded from your mentioned budget.

Would be well worth the stretch if you can manage it though. There are also hacks on the web to re-enable many of the features from the 10D which are hidden by default on the 300D.

6. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there apreading,

I too am interested in the Canon and just wondered what the voucher is and where I can get one?

Thanks.

7. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Before you start considering models, it is important to define exactly what you will be doing with the camera and what kit you'll need.

Sporting - is this fast action and at a distance? - ie require long telephoto lenses or shutter priority modes with large apertures.

Close up - is this extreme macro? - ie manual focus and a ring flash setup. Would this require a swing out LCD screen?

Landscape - wide angle lens and minimal distortion?

It is no good thinking about a camera if it does not have the features you require, or suitable accessories.

Again with printers - do you need a 6 colour system for skin tones, or just a good 4 colour? One thing with printers is the amount of ink used, so factor in the cost of ink cartridges.

Does your budget include all the kit and printer, or just for the camera? Do you really want to splash out on expensive kit only to find that you may not enjoy the hobby as much?

Check out the reviews and forums at www.dpreview.com

Essentially, I would go for something with full manual control, a wide range of shutter speed and apertures, and with a good quality sensor and lens. Don't bother with gimmicks - you only want to capture an image and this can be enhanced/manipulated on your computer.
    Compostion, detail, sharpness and colour accuracy are more important - look for cameras offering these, and then read up on compostion techniques.

Another thing to consider would be to buy a small pocketable compact to have with you most of the time, and then a bigger more featured unit for more planned work. If you are really into it as a hobby, its very annoying to miss a photo oportunity because you've left the [big] camera at home.

8. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    As far as printers go, I can definitely recommend the HP Photosmart 7960. As well as printing superb photos it also has a card reader built into it, so no need for a separate reader. It has a separate tray for 6" x 4" photo sheets as well as A4. It costs £200 odd. I'd certainly advise buying Adobe Photoshop as well. THis is far superior to any of the bundled software you usually get with cameras or printers. You also have to budget for your paper too, it's no use having an excellent camera and printer and then blow it all with cheap paper. To get the most out of a full A4 print you need at least 4mp camera.