1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by godisi, Jun 20, 2004.

1. godisi

godisi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey people, i have just finished painting my bedroom, soon to be hc room as well, the side walls, and wall opposite my soon to be screen, is a very dark navy blueinsh cover, while the screen wall itself is matt dark grey in color.

I want to know what type of screen goo material will work best for my pj, im getting the hitachi tx100 very soon! Will a light grey or dark grey coat (screen) work best for a dark-lit room, the room should be light controlled very soon as ill be gettin blackout blinds.

what other methods work best for gettin better contrast and blacks out of a pj, whites im not so worried about as ive heard theyre usually quite good even after gettin optimum black levels.

im not going to paint the cieling dark, as my room as it is, is quite dark and dulll realy, i do sleep here after all, need something that isnt bad to look at.im trying to make only small compromises if possible

thanks in reply ppl!!!

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,099
    A lens filter will reduce the lumens from the pj and that will reduce black level, but you may find the grey screen is sufficient.

Use Avia or similar to calibrate white and black levels as this will ensure you don't get an elevated black level by having the brightness set too high.

Gary.

3. godisi

godisi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for mthat, im not thinking of getting a filter, do you know which type of goo grey i should get by any chance, there is a variety, my room looks very dark atm and im going to paint the door and door frame on the left hand side of the wall with a flat white color, will this compromise much, im not thinkin it will. Also i have to choose some lighting right now, atm im using a ligh bulb fixed to the wall, what im trying to achive is a much lighter room while the lights are on, cause atm the bulb doesnt have enuff brightness to make up for the darker room!

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,099
    There are a few users of Goo on the forum, so try a search for their posts or pm them for some first hand opinions. Digital grey would probably be the one to use though.

White isn't the best colour to use in a projection room, but a light grey would be a good compromise - it reflects neutraly so won't affect the screen image as much should it reflect back onto it.

You could try a few downlighters around the room - those that recess into the ceiling for instance. My room is Kodak 18% grey, and all I have is 3 50w halogen downlighters form Argos, and they supply enough light for the room when it's needed. I've got mine on a remote dimmer, so that it can be controled from the seating position, and is very useful.

HTH

Gary.