1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Please

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by LeRed, Apr 17, 2004.

1. LeRed

LeRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, this is my first post

Great forum.

I'm looking to buy a new 36inch TV, and boy is it confusing:(

I have a toshiba sd530e DVD player and want a TV that will go well with this DVD player. After reading numerous threads it seems the top models are the Panasonic TX36PD30 or the Toshiba 36ZP38.

Should I choose one of these or are there others that are better?

My DVD player has PAL & NTSC progressive output.

Any advice would be much appreciated

thanks

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi LeRed,

Welcome to the forum. I used to visit for ages before I ever posted.

After looking here for about a year I just two weeks ago bought the 36PW9618 Philips television. There had been some adverse reports on this and all the other televisions! However, I seem to have been lucky and I am really overjoyed with this television. Picture is wonderful. If you watch football you can set it to 100Hz digital scan so that there is no blurring of the players with halo, movement etc. The rest of the time I keep it in Movie Plus mode. The sound is amazing since they are just built in both the speakers including an integrated subwoofer and two wireless speakers.

I have no DVD player as yet (that's in the pipeline!) so I can't really comment much on that. I'm sure it would be compatible with this set. It has four scarts. One handles CVBS and RGB. Another is for CVBS, RGB and YIC. Scart 3 and 4 only CVBS. Sorry, I don't know what the abbreviations mean! S-Video output. Composite video input. Stereo audio input. two coaxial digital audio inputs. coaxial digital output. Dolby 5.1 phono lineouts. FM transmitter jack. RF jack. I give all these connections so you can get a better picture of the rear of the set.

The Panasonic and Toshiba are great sets too, I had been on the point of buying both at different times! Good luck with whatever you choose.

I don't

3. LeRed

LeRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

I have been doing a bit of research and have seen the Philips model mentioned aswell, but non of the retailers near me seem to have one in stock, I need to see the picture before buying.

I'm also worried about all the bad reports about large screen tv's having various problems such as dirty screen effect and shadowing.

I've seen the Panasonic model at my local store and it seems to have a brilliant picture but the Toshiba model did seem to have a dark shadow on one side, but the sales assistant didn't see it!!

I'll try and see if anywhere has a Philips model that I can check out.

4. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again,

The only place I could see the large Philips PW9618 within 25 miles was a Curry's superstore. The problem with these large outlets is the way they connect up the televisions but at least you can see if you like the sort of picture. The Philips is crisper and clearer and the Panasonic is softer.

Do read the PD30 sticky problems thread.

So often it is just the case of getting a good example of a manufacturer's television. I know what you're going through with your decision, I am glad mine turned out o.k. Good luck.