1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by cammymack, Mar 26, 2004.

1. cammymack

cammymack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

I am a total novice to all of this and i would really appreciate some advice.
    I have a 36inch Toshiba pro Logic TV and a Sony DVD player, I am moving house soon and would like to do away with my aging Hi Fi system.
    My idea is to buy a DVD home cinema system that i can also use to play music CD's and listen to the radio. Is this possible? and if so what are the minimum specs i should look for in the system to get decent results?

Many thanks

Cammy:hiya:

2. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi Cammy,

There are plenty of all in ones to choose from, most if not all will have a radio receiver built in and are able to play CD's.
    Minimum specs ? all depends on what you want to connect up to it, and if you are going to add anything at a later date like SKY,VCR etc etc.
    You should be looking at a system with 2-3 (or more) line inputs for hooking up SKY, VCR etc. An RGB scart out is useful if you want a good picture (some all in ones make do with S-VIDEO or COMPOSITE only).
    Sound wise look for DOLBY DIGITAL, DTS, DOLBY PRO-LOGIC II (some even have 6.1 surround, I think Panasonic has one).
    All thats needed then is a GOOD quality lead (SCART or S-VIDEO)
    for hooking up to the telly,some PHONO leads for for the audio sources and follow the instructions for setting up.

If you get stuck, just post and someone will be able to help you.

Best of luck.

TTFN