1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tbrar, Nov 16, 2003.

1. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Previously a viewer of Plasma, I am now looking at moving to a PJ set up in a dedicated (though fairly small room). The room measures 311 cm (long) by 221 cm (wide), and is 233 cm high. I am hoping to project onto a 72" (6 foot) wide screen, and will be sat about 260 cm (102") away from screen.

The two PJ's that I am seriosuly looking at are the Sanyo Z2 and the Sony HS20, both to me represent a good introduction to front PJ.

As a newbie to PJ really after some advice from you guys if possible as to which would be better, given the size of the room and the size of the image I want to display. Firstly, will both project the image that I require given the space limitations. Also given these limitations (room) will screen door represent an issue on either PJ's image. Also I wondered about the black level, and what could be done on improving it with these two (if indeed it is seen as an issue). I understand that you can buy screens (grey ?), however would there then not be a trade off between decent blacks/decent whites ??. Also does any one have any screen suggestions ?.

Another question is room decoration. I started the decor yesterday, all I manged was one wall a matt black. I also had a dark grey mixed up, and origanally thought I would do the ceiling and side walls in this colour. But am now wondering whether I should do the whole room in black (funny enough I quite like the look of it !). Is there any reason (PJ Picture wise) why I should not do this ?

I appreciate I am probably asking a fair bit, but any advice and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,034
    You don't say how far the projector will be from the screen but assuming roughly the same as viewing distance I would say that you might struggle with the HS20, I think it's a longer throw than the Z2. It's worth using the lens calculator (see the thread 'Z2 official lens calculator') to see what screen size you can achieve from the throw distance you'll have available. Also the one on projector central is useful although I'm sure the figures it comes up with don't match the ones on the sanyo site which all adds to the confusion!
    Screendoor could be an issue with the Z2 at that viewing distance although it is high resolution but tbh screendoor is an unknown quantity on the Z2 until it starts filtering through to us and we start using it in earnest , watch this space!
    There's loads of info/opinions on www.avsforum.com about both of these projectors so check them out, at the end of the day they're both LCD so screendoor could be an issue but by all accounts they're also both light years ahead of the e.g. AE100 from a couple of years ago, things have moved on a great deal since then and I'm sure compared to viewing on a plasma you'll have no regrets with either of them!
    HTH

Cheers,
    Andy

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,034
    Oh and I think it would be advisable to go for matt white rather than a greyscreen. The contrast on these LCD projectors is a lot better than it used to be so I don't think the grey screen is necessary anymore (correct me if I'm wrong anyone!)

Cheers
    Andy

4. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zAndy1, thanks for response.

As you say the PJ distance from screen will be the same as viewing distance. I have used the calculator on Projector Central, and the Sanyo calculator, as you say differing figures are quoted :confused: .

Interestingly, using the same calculator the Sony looks like being able to project an image of the size I want with the throw distance I can acheive in the room, but at maximum zoom (x1.77 apparently) . This leads me to another question for you chaps, will the fact that I am at maximum zoom be an issue in terms of degredation of PQ ??

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    tbar also watch for noise, as the PJ is going to be right by you.
    so make sure there not to loud. i think the hs20 is loud but youll need to check.

id also recommend spending a little bit more.

for £2200 you could have a h56 which is far superior to the machines you have mentioned, but as a man of plasma you might not want to spend so much.
    but having demoed quite a few machines now i would recommend spending the extra if poss. im yet to demo the z2 but it will need to be a vast improvement over the Z1