1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by David167, Nov 12, 2003.

1. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently own a pair of Kef Reference 3 speakers, which i am using as part of a 7.1 system. Unfortunately I am currently using them in a room 12ftx12ftx7ft, with their backs against a wall and corner due to room layout (to complex a reason to explain at the moment), as opposed my last setup in a large17ftx15ftx12ft room with a good few feet away from walls and corners and they sounded superb!

The problem i'm faced with is the excessive bass that now comes from these speakers, due to their location I suspect. I have setup their crossover to cutoff @ 70hz, but know I feel i'm missing the bass these are capable of.

Would it be wise to (reluctently) sell these and purchase another pair of speakers designed to work well close to walls and corners?

Can anybody recommend a quality pair of speakers for this purpose?? (Would like to keep the quality of sound these speakers). How about a sub/sat system? Primary use is HT, but excellent music playback a must!

All advice appreciated.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'm sure you already know that corner placement is a recipe for bass reinforcement,with the corner acting as a horn to a degree.

If there's a possibility of moving them at a later stage,they may be worth keeping,as would also be the case if you have some sort of room correction facility.
    If not,it would be worth going down the route of smaller speakers which will work better in your current layout.....I had a similar problem with Linn Keltiks which worked beautifully in my previous house,but due to extreme low bass reinforcement in a very old house,they just didnt work in their new setting.
    I ended up getting a set of Nautilus 805's which are perfect in most respects.

The best advice though,is to listen to as many speakers as possible within your price range before buying,and listen in your own home.

I would also add that most speakers,even those designed to work in corner/wall placements will often sound much better away from the wall,by varying distances.

3. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    David167

I had a similar problem with an pair of Monitor Audio floorstanders, as a tempory problem if your Kef 3's are ported either front or back try to reduce the air flow by filling the port. Many speakers come with some sort of port bung, these are a way to tune the bass to different surroundings/placement. The real effect is the reduce the amount of bass. Manufactures generally use foam, try a 99p car wash sponge cut up!! I used a couple of dusters, one in each port, not to totally block it of coarse but just to stem the air flow.
    This can has a varying effect upon the sound, suck it and see I suppose, in my system it did manage to reduce bass boom without degregating the overall sound too much. It was a tempory measure and when I could move the speakers back to where thet belonged (out of the corner and 3 ft from the back wall) I was glad I hadn't got rid of them.

4. David167

David167
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies, guys.

Alexs2, I'm curious to know what caused your problem with excessive bass. Similar sort of situation I wonder??

Mr THX, moving the speakers is a no-no, as they are behind a false wall, the idea being they are out of sight (Not that I don't want to see them, but limited on room space). I'll give your sponge method a go, but maybe the sub/sat arrangement is the way to go, as the sat's are unlikely to produce a lot of bass so aren't going to be too fussy about being against a wall (although being smaller in size will help keep the away from the wall, unlike the Kef Reference 3's!).

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    In my case it was a matter of using speakers with very extended(down to 20Hz within +/- 2dB limits in test conditions)bass in a timber framed house and finding that the room modes etc just couldnt be tuned out adequately.....the only soultion was to adjust the active crossovers to a bass cut-off at 40Hz and to limit the bass level also.

That meant basically using the Keltiks as a bass limited speaker,which defeated the object of having them...so off they went!

I noticed your comment about a false wall....are the speakers positioned next to that...if so,again that will be a problem in terms of resonances.