Advice please....Which recorder do I buy ?

dsw182

Established Member
Reaction score
Another lovely "Which recorder do I buy?" post.

I'm replacing my main DVD player (LG 4930). I was told that the Lite-on recorders were "the ones to go for", but I'm not so sure.

Can you provide me with a shortlist of potential DVD recorders?

Info:
- I'll be recording mainly from a Sky Digital source. (possibly some VCR copying at first)
- A firewire port would be helpful.
- As said above, this is going to be my main DVD player (Decent commercial disc playback, DTS audio output needed)
- It will, at some point, be connected to a Panaphonics TX28 set.
- Keep the budget £200 or under (if possible).

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.

I was told that the Lite-on recorders were "the ones to go for", but I'm not so sure
Only if your blind and deaf and not really interested in DVD recording :)

Info:
- I'll be recording mainly from a Sky Digital source. (possibly some VCR copying at first)
- As said above, this is going to be my main DVD player (Decent commercial disc playback, DTS audio output needed)
- Samsung DVDR100 (excellent DVD recorder well under £200)
- Hitachi DVRX7000 (reasonable DVD recorder, good DVD player)
- Panasonic E65 (probably pushing the budget a bit)
- Pioneer 320 (the weakest of the four IMHO but still worth looking at)

Rasczak said:
Only if your blind and deaf and not really interested in DVD recording :)

This months Home Cinema Choice magazine gives the LiteOn 5045 an excellent review performance wise, and says it's quality matches the panasonic range of HDD recorders and is techinically more versatile. Not to mention it's about half the cost. :lesson:

This months Home Cinema Choice magazine gives the LiteOn 5045 an excellent review performance wise, and says it's quality matches the panasonic range of HDD recorders and is techinically more versatile. Not to mention it's about half the cost.
Which goes to show how far downhill the magazine - or at least one of their reviewers - has gone. It comes to something when a home cinema magazine - one that is supposed to support the highest qualities and values in products - starts raving about the ability to record MPEG to a CD-R. :thumbsdow

an excellent review performance wise, and says it's quality matches the panasonic range of HDD recorders
Actually it says it has the same DAC - this is not the same as equal performance. For one the Panasonic models can manage upto 3hrs at full resolution, the LiteOn does 2hrs.

Secondly playback on the LiteOn is dreadful. Component is dreadful - so bad it would be better off not being there lest someone uses it. And RGB playback wasn't anything to write home about either - I can only imagine that the HCC reviewer toned down his criticisms to appeal to a wider audience. IMHO that sort of thing should be left to 'Essential Home Cinema' and 'What Video'.

Thirdly the sound quality on this model is, if being generous, poor. Whilst HCC are happy to describe it is "womanlike" I would rather use a word such as "awful". As the review implies you should buy a machine that not only has a good DAC on paper, but one that knows how to use it ;)

But the real clincher is the editting which is, by any standards, second rate. The 15 words devoted to this in the review make me think he only actually used + media as opposed to - media. No comparison was made to how other recorders fair in performance against this. :thumbsdow

So to summerise then the Liteon suits if you don't care about picture quality, not too bothered about sound and want to record onto CD-R. Which is probably someone who is blind and deaf and not to bothered about DVD recording :D

The review is longer than 15 words. It's more like a 1000. Two whole pages. In depth.

Not sure where you got all that from, have you tested it yourself? It said it's recording and playback quality was excellent, and had excellent RGB output and was let down a little on it's progressive mode.

I hate to rain on your parade, but the magazine really did do a full review. It may not be up to your standards, but then being a videophile your standards may be borderline obsessive. ;)

I'm sure it's an excellent machine that can hold it's own against it's rivals, as it says in the review. :thumbsup:

Rasczac said the review used 15 words to cover the topic of editing, not that the whole review was 15 words long.

I think his post is well informed and unbiased and should be taken as that.

These "cheapies" always have seductively long feature lists, etc., but how many times do we have to be reminded that almost all the time, you get what you pay for.

The review is longer than 15 words
Yes I know the review was slightly longer than 15 words - I'm not totally stupid you know ;) - but have a look at how many words they devoted to discussing the editting. If you don't count the first word in the sentence ('Also') and count 're-titling' as one word then it is fifteen words. However to avoid an argument I will agree they devoted 17 whole words to discussion of the editting! Ironically that is the same number of works as between the start of my response in this post to the ;) in the first line - deep stuff!

Not sure where you got all that from, have you tested it yourself?
Yes I have. As with most DVD recorders the Liteon has been in my setup and received a partial test. Unfortunately, as with most budget recorders, if they don't perform on the basics (sound, picture, features) then they do not get the full test because the people I advise generally wouldn't want such machines.

However that said my partial tests are quite comprehensive. The machine was given every chance to prove itself: I connect to a CRT and test video and sound (video, s-video and RGB scart) performance from DVD, EXT recording and Tuner. On a Plasma I test video (video, s-video, RGB scart and component) performance from DVD, EXT recording and Tuner - ditto on a Projector. Sound is tested via analogue (stereo) and digital outputs to my 7.1 setup as well as on a 5.1 setup. So all in all a device gets every opportunity to prove itself. Even once that has all been done I still work through the features of the machine (editting, timeslip, DV input etc etc) looking for anything that makes this machine worth recommending. If anything comes to light I always give a full test. The Liteon did not qualify.

It said it's recording and playback quality was excellent, and had excellent RGB output and was let down a little on it's progressive mode.
He is living in a different planet if he seriously thinks the Liteon matches a "£500 DVD player" - all I can say to that is it must be a £50 super market cheapie that accidentally had a extra 0 put next to it. Side to side comparison a Liteon versus a Denon 2910 :laugh: Maybe the reviewer is a comedian.

Bottomline is that if you want a budget HDD/DVDR then the Liteon fulfills that. But being under no illusion - it is a cheap, low quality machines for those who can't afford better...

Well it could easily match Panasonic quality. They don't have the best playback compared to Sony and Pioneer.

Did you test the LiteOns 5 record modes?

He is living in a different planet if he seriously thinks the Liteon matches a "£500 DVD player"

This sounds like bias? Have you *actually* tried this model? It's £350 and has a 160GB HDD.

Neville Street said:
I think his post is well informed and unbiased and should be taken as that.

Understatement of the year. :laugh:

Dear oh dear.

TommyVecetti said:
It may not be up to your standards, but then being a videophile your standards may be borderline obsessive. ;)
:

sounds like you're talking about Rascak - oh you are :)

TommyVecetti, do I sense a Liteon owner who's pride has been hurt and now simple has to defend his model? :rolleyes:

He is living in a different planet if he seriously thinks the Liteon matches a "£500 DVD player"
This sounds like bias? Have you *actually* tried this model? It's £350 and has a 160GB HDD.
How is that biased? It's common sense for one thing: do you honestly believe it when a single review says a budget DVD recorder with a HDD outperforms any DVD player under £500 it is likely to true? Do you still believe that when you see it has a 10 bit/54MHz DAC? :laugh: Maybe Denon and Arcam will go out of business now Liteon have arrived :laugh: That puts the credibility of the review in question before you even look at anything else. And yes Tommy - I have tried the Liteon 5045.

Well it could easily match Panasonic quality
I'm afraid it doesn't even come close Tommy. Playback on the Panasonic, whilst not quite as good as the Sony or Toshiba models is still generations ahead of the Liteon. For thing the ability to output a component, progressive scan image that is actually watchable means the Panasonic is capable of performance above and beyond what the Liteon is. PQ via RGB scart is average on both players - but here the Panasonic still wins hands down because the sound quality on the Liteon is so dreadful.

When comparing recording - which is where the Panasonic range excel - the results are even more stark. Panasonic are now on their fifth generation of MPEG encoders. On a Panasonic recordings of upto 3hrs in full resolution from sources such as Digital TV look stunning. The Liteone can't even match this at SP. Comparing Lliteon's LP mode with FR180 on the Panny confirms the Liteone is in a different division - pixellation, minor digital artifacts and the general softeness associated with low resolution images all mar the Liteon's performance. I should point out this is just as apparent on a CRT as it is on a larger screen.

Even comparing the Liteon to the 'weaker' big-brand machines such as the Pioneer range then the results are still against the Liteon. Pioneer's SP mode triumphs over the Liteon in all 'difficult' scenes.

Honestly I don't see what possible benefit you think I get by suggest the Liteon is rubbish if it was not. But the fact is it is a budget DVD recorder with budget performance. If you've got one Tommy you can be satisfied you've got a cheap recorder - but don't be misled into thinking you have a good one. And ironically there is even a current post froom someone looking to dump a Liteon due to 'issues' it currently has! Sorry!

dsw182 said:
Another lovely "Which recorder do I buy?" post.

I'm replacing my main DVD player (LG 4930). I was told that the Lite-on recorders were "the ones to go for", but I'm not so sure.

Info:

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.

Panasonic E65
http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PANA-DMRE65MR-SIL
There you go, enjoy

Given 2 differing opinions, 1 from Home Cinema Choice (or any of the other consumer mags) and 1 from Rasczac, I know which one I would favour.
HINT: R*****C :)
IMHO the magazines have a mediocre record when it comes to objectivity and impartiality.

... and your all invited to join in my other similar thread to lash out them recommendations! :)

Many thanks for the vote of confidence Fast Jon! Greatly appreciated. I always do my upmost to recommend the machines that are most suitable for people and (hopefully) people can see that I do recommend a wide range of brands: Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer, Toshiba, JVC, Samsung, Hitachi etc etc - and hopefully people take my posts as they are meant - helpful, impartial guidance.

I invariably step on owners toes when I criticise a machine for being gash and was clearly too 'blunt' in this thread. But it's a thin line between letting someone be misled into the wrong purchase and ending up being flamed for the effort.

TommyVecetti, do I sense a Liteon owner who's pride has been hurt and now simple has to defend his model?

No, I don't own one. I have a Panny E55. You may well be right, I just wanted to argue the point. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom