• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice please - what do I need to connect a turntable, PC and 5.1 speakers?

BapAndFuro

Standard Member
I am confused as to what I need to buy - receiver, amplifier, hifi? :confused:

I want something that I can connect:
  • My turntable to so I can play records
  • My laptop to so I can play mp3s and sound from my laptop
  • Allow me to connect a 5.1 speaker system
  • Play CDs (not essential but would be good - can play CDs through my laptop if not)

I don't have 5.1 speakers yet so if you can suggest a package deal that would be fine as well.

I have quite a low budget as I am a student but I am sure you audio experts can suggest something. :)

Thanks,
BapAndFuro

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Most budget AV receivers do not have a phono imput. YOu say you want 5.1, but what is your source ? If it is DVD, look out for a second hand Arcam receiver. These sound stunning and some of them have a phono imput as well. Otherwise, an outboard phono pre-amp can be bought for £50.

Speaker wise, how big is your room ? A small room suits small speakers and funnily enough, big speakers need a bit of air to work....

The mistake most students make (Sorry to generalise) is to purchase huge floorstanding speakers for use in a small room. They sound awful, all waffly and boomy!

Have a look at one of the all in one receivers - £199 will get you a half decent 5.1 amp, £50 for the phono preamp & £500 will get you a good starter 5.1 package. Too Rich ?? Try a budget combined amp & blu ray or DVD player with built in subs and speakers. £500 will get you something you can be proud of.

Still too rich ???? Asda sell a system for £139...

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Allow me to connect a 5.1 speaker system

A receiver springs to mind.

Depends on your budget, but I've spotted this one, which I like the look of;

Onkyo HTS3405 Black | 5.1 Package System inc. Speakers excluding DVD player | Richer Sounds

I've never heard it though, so can't comment on if it's any good or not, although, it isn't an all in one with a DVD player, so I'd expect it to be be better.

The good thing about this one is it has a seperate receiver so you have upgrade options.

That's not your only option though.
Yamaha do a 5.1 package, for example.

Plenty to look at on the RS site, so at least you can get an idea :smashin:

mentm

You can buy any receiver and a seperate phono stage for your record player.

Alternatively the yamaha rxv667 is one of the cheaper recievers with a phono stage built in.

As for cds you could use any dvd or bluray player.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You say you want 5.1 but then only list stereo sources and music as your listening requirements. If on a limited budget you will get a much better system by going with a stereo amp/reciever and pair of speakers. Also at the budget end of the market you will be looking at sub/satelite speaker sets which will not be good for music (nor will the budget AV reciever for that matter).

BapAndFuro

Standard Member
Thanks for all the quick replies everyone.

You say you want 5.1 but then only list stereo sources and music as your listening requirements. If on a limited budget you will get a much better system by going with a stereo amp/reciever and pair of speakers. Also at the budget end of the market you will be looking at sub/satelite speaker sets which will not be good for music (nor will the budget AV reciever for that matter).
  • Connect my turntable to so I can play records
  • Connect my laptop to so I can play mp3s and sound from my laptop
  • Play CDs (not essential but would be good - can play CDs through my laptop if not)

Which 2.1 speakers and system would you/anyone else recommend instead for the things I have listed? :) If a 2.1 system would be better for what I want it for then that's what I'll go for.

Thanks,
BapAndFuro

PSM1

Distinguished Member
If you get some good standmount speakers then there would be no need for a sub with music. A reasonable sub will cost around £200 so can be a bit of a budget drain. If going for a stereo amp then there are plenty around the £150 mark (Cambridge Audio recievers from Richer Sounds tend to offer good value for money) and these could be paired with something like Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 or even 10.1 (but plenty of other speakers to chose from). Your best bet would be to go demo some combinations and see what sounds great to you.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom