Advice Please - Upgrading from Sony HTSS 1100 to Sony STR-DH800

Westovski

Hi all,

About a year or two ago, i purchased the Sony HTSS 1100 kit as my first foray into Surround Sound and, essentially, AV.

When i first received it, i was completely blown away by surround sound, having an xbox 360 and toshiba hd player in, it was heaven for me. However, since then, i've acquired a ps3 and a hdmi outputting htpc. Quite frankly, i've got more outputs than inputs.

I don't really like the idea of hdmi switches and optical switches, so what i've been thinking of doing is upgrading my amp to the Sony STR-DH800 - it really seems to suit my needs with the 4 HDMI inputs and 4 optical inputs (and programmable remote).

Now, to the point of the post, i can afford to replace the amp (assuming i'll be selling it afterwards) however, I can't afford to upgrade the speakers just yet. I'm not a massive audiophile, so i can cope with the Sony standard speakers for now, but will the amp be ok with them? Naturally i'll upgrade in time, but will they work as a temporary solution?

The last thing i want is a lot of nice kit that just won't work together!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. :)

P.s. - I really can't afford any better kit at the moment with Christmas coming up, so puhleeeeasse don't tempt me :D

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Your biggest problem will probably be the sub as I imagine it is a passive one. All AV recievers need active subs (onboard amp in sub) and will not work with a passive one. Without a sub the rest of the speakers will sound pretty rubbish and weedy imho.
You may also struggle with the resistance of the other speakers. Check in the manual as to what they are rated for. Anything below 4ohms will not work with the AV reciever you have picked and could cause damage to it. Between 4 and 8 ohms could work but care should be taken. If they are 8 ohm then no need to worry and they should work fine with no risk of damage. Also check the wattage rating as the speakers could be a lot lower than the amp so care would be needed with the volume control.
Really it would be better to save up for longer until you can afford speakers and amp together. To keep costs down you could go for a 2.0 speaker setup to start and then add the rest of the speakers as funds allow. A basic 5.1 speaker set starts at around £150 for the Tannoy FX set.

Westovski

Ok, thanks for that PSM1, much appreciated :)

The speakers are only 2.7 ohms and the sub is 1.3 ohms.

I'm not entirely sure whether it's passive or not, but i'd hazard a guess as it being so as the whole set was only about £250.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you will not be able to use any of those speakers with your new AV amp.

Westovski

Oh well, looks like i'm saving up for a better piece of kit then!

I've looked at cheaper all in ones, but none seem to have any more than 2 hdmi inputs, and not many do trueHD. I do like the STR-DH800, guess it's just a case of saving up for a decent set of 5.1/7.1 speakers too then!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom