1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please, sony or panny

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by daveblue, Oct 5, 2004.

1. daveblue

daveblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a Plasma set pretty soon. I have SKY + but living near Dartmoor we do not get a freeview signal yet.

I have looked at Sony's KEP 42 M1 which I have seen at 2700 ukp in a dealership with one year warranty and the Panasonic Viera TH42PE30 at 3300 with stand.

I haven't seen many reviews of the Sony. I don't need Free view yet, but really like the look of the Panasonic which might make it worth the extra.

Any views on which is better would be appreciated, or any other make I haven't considered..

Thanks in advance
    Dave

2. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Dave,
    I would go for the Viera to be honest - its a much better screen than the Sony.

By the way, you should be able to get it for a lot less than 3300, check further down these pages, where people have got the whole package plus DVD recorder for under 3k.

There are other screens you might want to consider also!

3. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry to go slightly off topic, but how do you like your PW6 with your Pio 575, Unlight. Its a combination that I am very tempted by, but I have been slightly worried that the 575 wouldn't do the PW6 justice? Certain (knowledgeable) quarters on this forum have indicated that I should try to go for a better player. I presume you are running off component?

TIA

4. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

Hi Toby, well Im currently getting the room the plasma is going to live in redone, so its all actually sitting in the boxes!

However, I took it out at the weekend to test, and tested the 575 via both RGB Scart, and via the Component board. Even through RGB, although the picture was softer, everything looked lovely - a fantastic picture. However, upon changing to component, the picture seemed perfect!

My advice is - pick one up and forget about how much it costs. I feel it does the PW6 more than justice, its a very nice player indeed. I was worrying about teaming a £100 odd player with a £2k screen, but I'm certainly not any longer!

Hope that helps a little!

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    575 is minumum DVD i would spec with a 42" Plasma.........
    I also say go with veira 42" it has tuner for when you will get FV and most people run it with Sky anyway..... Why a plasma TV instead of a panel like the PW7??? and www.avsales.co.uk have http://www.avsales.co.uk/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42pa30.html drop them a line and see if you can get free stand.... Also they offer warranty extension to 3 years fot £199.............

6. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yep, I was wary of going any lower than the Pioneer 575, I must say though that I'm exceptionally pleased with it.

No doubt I'll probably pick up a second hand Denon 2200 or 2900 when the s/h market comes down a bit in price though for music..

7. daveblue

daveblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, I followed another thread and got the Viera 42 inch, stand and DMR E55 for 2799 from Bristol John Lewis who price matched the Liverpool branch. Unbelievable! It includes 5 year warranty and is over 1000 pounds cheaper than anything locally.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    so bristol matched excellent can i ask who you spoke to as a mate is going there on sat to try and get this deal....

9. daveblue

daveblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Becky at Liverpool
    Helen at Bristol. Very helpful.

Best of luck..