Advice Please Sony lcd 2007 (Too Old these days ??)

Always-hungry

Hi

Had our 40 inch Sony lcd since 2007 ( one of the first 1080p models ) and well into Blu Ray and Sky hd. Will we notice a big difference in picture quality if we now look to purchase a new model. Torn between a sony lcd or Panansonic Plasma with a budget of 600.00

We have no interst in 3d and no games will be played also on the tv, just built in freeview, sky and blu ray

Kind regards for anyone who offers there thoughts on this.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
If your current set is still giving a nice bright contrasty picture I'd say no, save your money.

JH4

I also had one of the first Sony 1080 sets, and recently upgraded to their current HX 923 model, which has an HD tuner ready for my local switch-over next year.
The biggest difference is the black level which is way improved over the previous TV.
( It's back-lit via LEDS. )
Totally inky blacks and superb bright whites, as well.. I love it.
It also has 'net access which is a real boon if you haven't used it before - for iPlayer, YouTube and much more.
Will connect with a PC using HDMI direct or via a LAN, with a 'remote keyboard' feature for text input from the PC.
Lots of HDMI inputs, Skype camera, external HDD recording and a tough Corning 'Gorilla' glass front.
Runs virtually cold as well.
Picture quality is possibly the current state-of-the art imo, and there are lots of other features to explore.
( I had a plasma once - never going back to them again for several reasons. Too many to list here.. )
Go for it if you can afford it, but I agree with JayCee - if the current set is fine, you may not be tempted. I see your set is coming up for 5 years old. Did it have Sony's 5 year warranty, I wonder, like mine did ?

Last edited:

Always-hungry

Yes, it had a five year warranty that's due this month I think. Now i'm really confused.

How much did that model cost and best place to purchase, there was me thinking of going back to Plasma :confused:

logiclee

I have a three and a half year old Sony 52" W4000 model that was over £2k to buy.
I also have a new 55" EX723 that was just over £1k with the current cash back offers.
The new set is a big improvement in contrast and black levels and motion is much smoother. On top of that the new TV has all the Smart TV functions and has more calibration options.
So massive improvements in just a few years and now half the price.

Didn't go Plasma myself (Or Sony Gorilla Glass LCD models) due to the reflecting glass screens, couldn't live with one in my room.

Cheers
Lee

Last edited:

JH4

Yeh, check out the Sony.co.uk website. You may not get much for £600, but all their current range is pretty good, imo. They also still do the 5 year warranty, which you may not get elsewhere.
I always use my local Sony shop to buy and for the personal service I get, which is top notch.
They will deliver, fit, setup, and check everything out. ( My local shop does, anyway ! ), and often will have deals going, especially after Christmas, which I would wait for, if it was me buying...
Hope this helps.
(Don't forget to buy one with an HD tuner...)

Last edited:

logiclee

Some deals to be had elsewhere though.

40EX723 is £999 retail, £850 at my local Sony shop but £641 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004S9DW...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004S9DWW2

You will also get £100 cashback from Sony if you purchase before 24th December.

So that's a Sony 3D Smart TV LED lit LCD for £541.

The EX723 series has one of the best 2D HD LCD pictures around but 3D does produce some crosstalk but if your not bothered about 3D it's one hell of a set for the price.

Cheers
Lee

Always-hungry

Thank you all for your help and advice, will keep awaiting more advice and make a decision, wish I could get plasma out of my head mind, and I fancy a change in brand but I guess, stick with what you trust and all that.

JH4

Yeh, Sony make great TVs. Panasonic make great Freesat/Freeview BD recorders. I have no experience of their TVs tho..
I don't like Plasmas. Although they are much improved over the one I had, which ran very hot with a fan running constantly. Lousy black levels as well. A long time ago, admitedly, but the main deficiencies that early LCDs had, ie. poor black levels, poor off axis viewing and slow response times have all been dealt with now.
I believe the LCD sets now available are the match of any plasma, and don't suffer from plasma's main drawback - the 'screen burn' issue. This limits their life span, I believe.
LCDs run virtually cold now as well - at least mine does.

( I've just had a look at the Plasma forum. They are talking about 'Image retention' now, and advising people to not have settings up too high. I laughed at this, since there are no issues in this regard with LCD TVs. I rest my case.. )

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
Yeh, Sony make great TVs. Panasonic make great Freesat/Freeview BD recorders. I have no experience of their TVs tho..
I don't like Plasmas. Although they are much improved over the one I had, which ran very hot with a fan running constantly. Lousy black levels as well. A long time ago, admitedly, but the main deficiencies that early LCDs had, ie. poor black levels, poor off axis viewing and slow response times have all been dealt with now.
I believe the LCD sets now available are the match of any plasma, and don't suffer from plasma's main drawback - the 'screen burn' issue. This limits their life span, I believe.
LCDs run virtually cold now as well - at least mine does.

( I've just had a look at the Plasma forum. They are talking about 'Image retention' now, and advising people to not have settings up too high. I laughed at this, since there are no issues in this regard with LCD TVs. I rest my case.. )

I don't agree on the LCD front - I have a Samsung 46C650 which was the top 2D model in 2010/2011 - it has poor off axis viewing (but fortunately a swivel stand for when I am ironing to the side of the TV), backlight bleed and not the greatest blacks. Good plasmas from Panasonic do not have these issues (I also had a plasma for 3 years, no buzzing, no burn, no IR)

Oh and there are people with burned LCDs from a little time ago :)

Best thing is to look at the TVs in a good AV shop, read the reviews and get the TV you like best for your budget :)

vickster

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

JH4

OK, I understand what you mean now. Yes stuck pixels ( not burned, btw ) used to be an issue with LCD TVs, but is largely cured by better manufacture these days. Some people still post this issue but not many now, however screen burn/image retention is still an issue with plasma screens even today. Witness the recent posts on Panasonic TVs, etc on the plasma forum here. It's been going on since they first appeared all those years ago. There are programmed tweaks that the manufacturer's use to mitigate the affect as the TV lifetime advances, but this just hides the underlying problem. There is an interesting notice at the top of that forum which details the for-and-against reasons for choosing a Plasma over an LCD, however some of the remarks are a little out of date now.
Everyone has their own opinions of course, these are just mine. Others will disagree, I'm sure !

Last edited:

logiclee

Plasma or LCD, both have issues. Reflective screens are an issue for me so that more or less rules Plasma out for me.
Plasma still has screen retention issues even if screen burn isn't as bad as before and although the Panasonic plasma's have excellent reviews there have been issues with green tints and image ghosting and smeering on motion.
LCD's don't have the above issues and are cheaper to run especially LED models but depending on model you can get clouding, banding, DSE, judder, 3D crosstalk.

Some people are affected by some issues more than others and your room and viewing content may sway you one way or the other.

You certainly get a lot for your money now though.

Cheers
Lee

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom