Advice please: SD card / hdd camcorder picture quality on 42# tv?

larrens

Standard Member
I am looking at getting a decent basic camcorder - I know that mini DV is supposed to be the best quality, but what is the quality of SD card & HDD camcorders like on 42" widescreens.

Curry's told me the pictures can be very "blocky" & similar to a downloaded mpeg4 from the internet on big flat screens, but fine on smaller screens. I was advised against these formats of cameras for use on a big TV.

Is it really that bad - given its for home & leisurely use, I don’t need the best quality in the world, but I want to avoid something that’s really bad & not pleasant to watch.

Can anyone recommend any decent camcorders that have fairly good picture quality in various light settings? I have been looking at the likes of Panasonic SDR-S7, Sony DCR H36, JVC everio etc. or perhaps I should stick with mini DV.

Thanks

A n d r e w

Novice Member
It it were me, I'd stick with miniDV unless you're prepared to spend enough to get yourself a decent high definition camcorder.

Andrew.

senu

Distinguished Member
I am looking at getting a decent basic camcorder - I know that mini DV is supposed to be the best quality, but what is the quality of SD card & HDD camcorders like on 42" widescreens.

Curry's told me the pictures can be very "blocky" & similar to a downloaded mpeg4 from the internet on big flat screens, but fine on smaller screens. I was advised against these formats of cameras for use on a big TV
Good advice, for once from staff of a retail outlet like Currys
Is it really that bad - given its for home & leisurely use,
It can be "that bad". :They use them instore to "play and have lots of big Tvs so they may have a point

Although To be fair maybe not always " that bad" but when you are shooting in challenging circumstances ( low light fast movt) they seem to fall flat quickly and although you say you dont want " best quality" ( you cant get than from domestic camcorders anyway) you risk not using them if the videos constantly make you . go ...urgh!:(
I don't need the best quality in the world, but I want to avoid something that's really bad & not pleasant to watch.
Understandably but you dont want to leave the camcorder on the shelf after 3-4 uses either
Can anyone recommend any decent camcorders that have fairly good picture quality in various light settings? I have been looking at the likes of Panasonic SDR-S7, Sony DCR H36, JVC everio etc. or perhaps I should stick with mini DV.
Stick with miniDv or get a Hi def (HDV, AVCHD) model . The more upmarket SD HDD camcorders are not much less than HD ( AVCHD) .. for a 42" HDTV you gain nothing by going for non-HD if you are trying to avoid MiniDV

senu

Distinguished Member
Depends on your budget. Suffice to say they arent that many now and the HDV ( Hi def tape) ones are capable at SD if you can strech to them
The differences will be more on features and a little less on actual quality
Look at the Canon Sony and Pansonic models

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom