Advice please. Replacing defunct Pana 42" plasma

Richard Swipe

Novice Member
Hi folks,

New here but have lurked for a while.

My 7 year old plasma failed recently so looking for a replacement. We're currently using a cheap Aldi 32" telly from the spare room but it's too small really for the living room.

I've read loads in here and seem to be getting more confused the more I read! Too many options...

Ideally I would prefer 48 or 50 as physical width is constrained to around 1200mm. 55 would push this but not impossible.
Main use is Freesat TV and DVD/Blu movies. Believe it or not I still have a few VHS too but rarely used now.
Freesat box has recording and catch-up etc so don't need any smart features.
I'm thinking OLED for image quality but realistically as most of my content is DVD quality is it worth it?
Seems like everything these days is 4k so what are non-HD TV channels going to look like? Were OK on the old HD plasma.

Inputs: Pana DPUB450 & Humax HDR-1100S
Sound is routed straight from these to Nakamichi AV10 (pre-HDMI but has digi coax and optical) so TV speakers need not be anything special.

As I get older I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get my head round these things so please be gentle :)

Budget up to £800. No brand preference really.

Thanks in advance for your help.

tvdavid

Dodgexander

Since there are no compelling LCD TVs sold smaller than 55" then an OLED makes sense, although you may need to raise your budget.

Timing isn't the best right now, a few months back I would have suggested Sony's 49" XH9505, a 2020 model. It however seems sold out in most places and hasn't been replaced in their 2021 lineup.

The only LCD TVs that really come close to OLED smaller than 55" in 2021 is the Samsung 50QN90A/50QN94A but these TVs are not the same TVs sold at 55" and up because they have reduced brightness.

Regarding your sources, you should really view the new TV as an avenue to enjoy 4k and HDR content, I feel you may be disappointed if you buy one and are still watching DVDs/HD on it, so I guess if you feel your usage won't change with a new TV you may be better off spending a lot less than 800 and going for just an entry level 4k model to save the money.

jenam93

Since there are no compelling LCD TVs sold smaller than 55" then an OLED makes sense, although you may need to raise your budget.

Timing isn't the best right now, a few months back I would have suggested Sony's 49" XH9505, a 2020 model. It however seems sold out in most places and hasn't been replaced in their 2021 lineup.

The only LCD TVs that really come close to OLED smaller than 55" in 2021 is the Samsung 50QN90A/50QN94A but these TVs are not the same TVs sold at 55" and up because they have reduced brightness.

Regarding your sources, you should really view the new TV as an avenue to enjoy 4k and HDR content, I feel you may be disappointed if you buy one and are still watching DVDs/HD on it, so I guess if you feel your usage won't change with a new TV you may be better off spending a lot less than 800 and going for just an entry level 4k model to save the money.
The Sony is still available in some John Lewis stores:

Click the CHECK IN-STORE STOCK link to see if there is one near you. They don't list the price for some reason so I guess you'd have to phone and ask....

Richard Swipe

Novice Member
Thanks all for your help.

Sony is out - none near me.

Based on more reading and your comments I've narrowed my field a bit.
Take on board that cheaper might suit me better so revised budget to ~£500 and 55" max.
Turns out my Pana plasma was from Xmas 2011 so I think I've had my moneys worth!

Found in stock:
Hisense 55U7QFTUK at £499
LG 55UP77006LB at £479

Also found Samsung QE50Q65TAUXXU at £529 but read on here the Q65 range is not great value?

I have an extensive collection of content on DVD so will carry on using this regularly.
Most other use is freesat SD/HD.

If I've understood correctly the Hisense has better UHD capability and the LG better upscaling.

Really I don't need any bells and whistles but I'd like to future proof as best I can.

Looks like 50" start around 300 and 55 around 350 but I assume entry level is probably best avoided. Am I better spending the extra for one of the above?

Also saw a pallet of Sharp 50BJ1K-P in Tesco for £329 but cannot find any info about it anywhere! Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Dodgexander

Thanks all for your help.

Sony is out - none near me.

Based on more reading and your comments I've narrowed my field a bit.
Take on board that cheaper might suit me better so revised budget to ~£500 and 55" max.
Turns out my Pana plasma was from Xmas 2011 so I think I've had my moneys worth!

Found in stock:
Hisense 55U7QFTUK at £499
LG 55UP77006LB at £479

Also found Samsung QE50Q65TAUXXU at £529 but read on here the Q65 range is not great value?

I have an extensive collection of content on DVD so will carry on using this regularly.
Most other use is freesat SD/HD.

If I've understood correctly the Hisense has better UHD capability and the LG better upscaling.

Really I don't need any bells and whistles but I'd like to future proof as best I can.

Looks like 50" start around 300 and 55 around 350 but I assume entry level is probably best avoided. Am I better spending the extra for one of the above?

Also saw a pallet of Sharp 50BJ1K-P in Tesco for £329 but cannot find any info about it anywhere! Any thoughts?

Many thanks
Are you planning on utilizing the built-in upscaling of the TV or are you using an external Freesat box and Blu-ray player to upscale before it reaches the TV?

Which panel type do you prefer from a TV?

Richard Swipe

Novice Member
Thanks for the quick reply.

Are you planning on utilizing the built-in upscaling of the TV or are you using an external Freesat box and Blu-ray player to upscale before it reaches the TV?

Blu player is Pana DP-UB450. Budget device but should be capable of adequate upscaling.
Freesat is Humax HDR-1100S. As far as I can tell this only outputs in HD so would need the TV to upscale.

Which panel type do you prefer from a TV?

TV is not directly in front of the sofa but is angled so almost straight on. Room is never very dark when viewing.

On balance I think I might take a punt on the Hisense 55U7QFTUK.

From the review; "as a living room workhorse the Hisense is very good indeed" has pretty much swung it.

Thanks again for all the help :)

Dodgexander

Thanks for the quick reply.

Blu player is Pana DP-UB450. Budget device but should be capable of adequate upscaling.
Freesat is Humax HDR-1100S. As far as I can tell this only outputs in HD so would need the TV to upscale.

TV is not directly in front of the sofa but is angled so almost straight on. Room is never very dark when viewing.

On balance I think I might take a punt on the Hisense 55U7QFTUK.

From the review; "as a living room workhorse the Hisense is very good indeed" has pretty much swung it.

Thanks again for all the help :)
Your Blu-Ray player can handle the upscaling itself, as you'll want to set this to output 4k.
The Freesat box will most likely be set to output 1080p, it will handle deinterlacing and upscaling to that level, and the TV will handle the rest.

Luckily 1080p>4k upscaling is a breeze, so I don't think you'll see a difference between the best and worst upscalers in your use case.

The U7Q is certainly the highest spec TV in the list with both local dimming and higher peak brightness compared to other TVs in the same price range. It will give you a gateway to enjoy some HDR content on the TV which otherwise would give you more issues with other TVs.

Richard Swipe

Novice Member
I've now got my new telly and I'm delighted.

Only done basic set-up so running out of the box settings for now. This weekend will provide time to play.

Watched "Life in colour" (HD) off the freesat box and, apart from some slightly odd effects with motion, it's amazing.
I'm sure I saw in here somewhere there are settings to fiddle with to improve this. Off for a hunt later.

Quite a difference after using a cheap 1080p 32" for the last couple of months...

Thanks again for the help - much appreciated :)

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom