1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please re returns & bust companies >>

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Popester, Dec 20, 2000.

1. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a DVD from DVD Plus with my credit card just before they went bust.

Not surprising really with that daft business model...anyway.......

The film (La Reine Margot R2) doesn't work properly on any player I've tried with blocking everywhere.

Is there anything I can do about this through my credit card company. Anyone know?

Thanks.

2. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I can't help re your specific problem, but I want to take yo to task re the DVD Plus business model - which if you have read the press items regarding their demise - you'd know was actually successful.
    they went under for other reasons.

3. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Must admit I feel a bit dubious about their reasons for going under.

The e-tip system was *very* risky, especially when you could still buy discs cheaper elsewhere!

Maybe I'm wrong, and it was the roaring success they claim. Just seems a little 'coincidental' that they went bust only a few short months later.

But whatever the real story may or may not be, congratulations to them anyway for being brave enough to try it. It was truly inspired. [​IMG]

------------------
    Everybody be cool. YOU, be cool.
    --------------------------------------
    ptmbradley@yahoo.co.uk
    http://www.geocities.com/ptmbradley

4. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to agree to disagree with you there Blade.

Firstly though let me say that when they were up and running their service was first class, the staff very helpful and friendly on the phone, and any difficulties sorted out immediately. I am sorry and disappointed they have gone. It truly is a shame and I wish them well.

As for closing - well - no company ever closes because it was TOO succesful! Selling at cost price and hoping people would tip you is really asking a lot. I have run a medium sized corporate company for several years now and my bank manager would split his sides if I ever suggested something like that. Like it or not you have to make a profit somewhere or at worst have excellent cash flow. There are just too many competitors with better bargaining power with suppliers to compete equally.

Press releases - got to love 'em!

5. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry Blade,

Play247 were always cheaper whenever I did a price comparison which leads to my inevitable cynicism about the so-called cost-price.

Not long ago DVD-plus sent out a long email to all members complaining that not enough people were leaving an e-tip and that unless this improved changed soon they would return to normal pricing..

Surely you can accept that it is somewhat suspicious that very soon after this they went bust....