1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please re possible colour uniformity issue with Sanyo Z3

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sigismund, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I've had my Z3 for a few days now - and having just finished watching I, Robot I can't help but become focussed on the left and right hand sides of the screen... the left has a red tinge to it, whilst the right is tinged with green.

Could anybody offer me some advice - does this sound "normal"? Is it a sign of a problem with the Z3? I'm waiting for a DVi - HDMi cable to be delivered, but I'm starting to wonder if the unit I have is faulty. Any ideas and suggestions would be very welcome :)

Thanks

2. h4mill

h4mill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mark,

The red tinge on one side a green tinge on the other is fairly common in LCD projectors - usually termed colour uniformity, and is down to some inaccuracy in the optical engine - LCD panels minutely out of "true" or a prism that's not "perfect" - my terms, btw.

You have to assess yourself how objectionable you find the effect in your own projector - mine is over two years old and has a touch of it, only visible in scenes predominantly grey. It hasn't gotten any worse over time, and I've seen examples a lot worse - one in which the green tinge spread halfway across the image to met the red tinge coming form the other side :eek: .

If this is an issue you could contact Sanyo - I don't know what their tolerance for this sort of thing is, or how they measure the degree of uniformity.

Regards,

Sean.

4. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    h4mill - Thanks for that.

Sean - I thought the "problem" looked a bit too uniform and suspected this may be an issue with LCD projectors, so thanks for at least confirming my suspicions ;)

I'm going to ring the retailer later today if I get a chance, and see what they say. I'm getting an excellent image, but this problem has gradually appeared - it wasn't apparent when I first started up the Z3... now I find myself checking to see when someone's face turns a deeper shade of red or green! :rotfl:

5. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Like i said on Zandy1 thread i could see it in his pictures. its a real pain in the ass thats for sure.

6. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    On the Z1 there was definately a service menu item that could correct this ...

I messed around with it myself and got a clean picture, we need to find out service menu settings. You could rotate different patches of colour around the edges.

Incidentally I don't have this problem that bad on my z3 - a tiny bit of colouration in the bottom left.

7. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    LFC FAN - Yes, I remember reading that, but I thought it was put down to the camera or something as it wasn't apparent on screen?

ROne - Problem I have is that the colour tinges stretch for about a third of the screen each side :eek: It would be good if there is a tweak, but how much it would correct the issue I seem to be having is a concern...

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Would annoy the hell out of me. Get it swapped.

9. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Yes, it bugs me too :zonked: I've just gotten off the phone to the retailer, and it looks like it will be deemed as DOA and swapped out.

I've got to say though, other than this issue I'm very pleased with the Z3 - I, Robot looked sharp and detailed with excellent contrast levels... and this was being fed an interlaced picture from my old Sony DVP-NS900V DVD player. Things are even better using my computer and a VGA feed, and when I eventually get the DVi - HDMi cable I've ordered I'm hopeful that I'll get the very best out of the Sanyo.

10. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your wise to get it swapped out, I have a Z3 and do not have any discolouration anywhere, I have tried a black and white film as well and that was fine.

Robert.

11. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi Robert... it's being swapped over on Thursday. :)

Hopefully, the DVi - HDMI cable will have arived by then and I can get back to doing some DVD reviews!

Cheers

12. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool. I watched my first film on it last night and I was blown away by the picture, sorry to say the film had the worst acting I have ever seen in a modern film (Troy btw). Am I correct in thinking that black and white films would show this uniformity the worst?

13. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Yes, I believe that's correct - at least, that's what the retailer said ;) Actually, I've just watched some of Van Helsing, which whilst not black and white is quite colour shy... and the "uniformity" problem is very noticeable. I'm looking forward to getting the replacement on Thursday...

14. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mark,

Glad to see that you're able to get this sorted out so quickly - would you like to let us know who your retailer is ?

S.

15. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,932
    I don't see any colour uniformity issues, I believe the problem with my photos was caused by me having my ceiling spotlights on slightly which were casting light on the screen, I see a problem then I can tell you! Seriously though, I have looked for it and I don't see a problem at all.

Cheers
    Andy

16. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi S ;)

I originally bought a Z2 from Ivojo for £823.00 odd - it was their last one... and unfortunately it was faulty. I couldn't get rid of a "double haloing", which looked very much like a severe case of edge-enhacement. It also turned itself off :eek: Needless to say Sanyo didn't find anything wrong with the unit...

I decided to buy a Z3, which has just been swapped over for a new one. I am very impressed with this new unit - so far, at least! I do still see a touch of reddish fringing down the left side of the screen, but at least there's no green now... and I'm hopeful that things may well improve when the bulb has had a chance to "wear in"... fingers crossed, anyway :lease:

Of course, I've yet to receive my ordered DVi - HDMI cable, so the real test is still to come, but a quick spin with a Sony NSX-900V interlaced DVD player connected via component and I get a very good, and reasonably sharp projected image. In my experience so far, things are likely to improve when I run things from my computer through VGA, and I'll let you know how things go with the digital cable job...

Aren't you itching to buy a new pj yet, Sean... your AE100 is on its way towards "dino" status :D I know, I know... you're happy with it... but just imagine how much happier you'd be with not only a brand new "state of the art" pj, but the pressure of a £1250.00 odd credit card bill makes that image look even better :devil:

All the best,

M :D

17. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Mark,

Hope the new one behaves itself for you...... :smashin:

I'm going to try CRT for a few months, if it works out then that will be my upgrade.... imagine, no VB no FPN, no rainbows, no pixels/structure............. Muahahahahahahahahh......... :devil:

Only other alternative I'd consider would be HS50, and I'd rather wait and see how production models perform in the real world,

S.

18. grahambateman

grahambateman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    I have a z3 and the picture was great until the other day. I cant seem to get it sharp , and properly in focus now . Have you guys any idease please ? .
    Also can you tell me more about the DVI--hdmi cable. Whats this , and will that improve my picture .
    Ta
    Thanks
    Graham

19. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I'll be very interested to hear you review on it.....
    My mate has had 2 CRT's in the past and I thought both were horrid things.
    Very soft, blurry screen.
    May just have been his models I guess, but I never liked them at all.

20. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ... I've often seen that response to CRT, but a decent set-up, with particular attention to projector/screen position and focus can go a long way to addressing it. CRT is fundamentally different from the pixellated image from digitals which itself can give the impressions of an "over-sharpened" image. The prospect of saying goodbye to concerns about the digital artifacts mentioned above is an attractive one for me and the reproduction of shadow-detail and black performance is something else. On the basis of my limited experience to date I can say that I prefer the CRT image over digital, but will take an extended trial and form a longer-term impression in that way.

Needless to say, CRT is a little more awkward that digital to accomodate - having a dedicated movie room eliminates that issue as far as I'm concerned although some creativity will be necessary for ceiling mounting in my case because of structural issues.

S.

21. homeagain

homeagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I haven't seen any digital projector come close to my old NEC 9PG+. It was driven by a HTPC outputting 1440x960 and was razor sharp ~ 8"LC tubes ~ on a Draper 80x45 M1300 fixed screen. Black levels and shadow detail to die for and great colour uniformity. However you need a relatively big room to set up in and there's no missing the beige 'VW bug' on the ceiling, that's how big it looked to my wife ! But I miss it all the same. :rolleyes:
    Cheers, Rob.

22. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I'm a little cheesed off :mad:

I finally received my DVi to HDMI cable - and after some 15 to 20 minutes experienced my first lockup :( I spoke to Ken/Ivojo, whose after sales service is simply first rate, and he contemplated that the lockup may have been caused by me attempting to adjust colour settings on my graphics card. The only way to unfreeze the Z3 was to turn it off at the mains - not something I like doing!

Like I said, Ken has really been helpful and has offered me a full refund. I would like to remain a customer because of the kind of personal attention I have received, but this is the third Sanyo pj I've had and I'm wondering if I will ever be happy enough...

It's locked up just the once, so far - but I feel like I'm in a quandry, and I still have a bit of a red tinge to the left of the image, although it isn't as bad as the first Z3. So, do I keep the Z3 and wait for a firmware upgrade? Or do I get a refund and go for a different pj altogether?

I feel quite down at the moment, so any rational advice will be most welcome :)

23. homeagain

homeagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :mad: Mark, That sucks! I'm sure you've already thought about it, but the new Sony seems to be the only one of the new generation 720P LCD projector without these type of problems. I know brightness might be a problem for those who can't control the light in their viewing room but so far VB, FPN, colour uniformity and the 'predator' effect are absent and the supposed concern over SDE has been quashed by the first consumer review over in the US. My Panasonic has gone to new pastures and only the Sony HS50 looks to be a marked improvement as its replacement.
    Good luck, Rob. :smashin:

24. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi Rob.

Yes, I spoke to Ken about the HS50 - but he's not going to be stocking it... which would mean me going elsewhere, and I would doubt I could find a dealer as informative/helpful and genuine, which means a lot in this day and age. What really bugs me though, and is just the icing on a bit of a turd cake, is that the image I'm getting through the DVi to HDMI cable fromthe PC isn't even as good as that from my Sony NSX-900V DVD player! I've bought a new graphics card, a new sound card, a new DVi - DVi cable and now a DVi to HDMI cable... and for what?! If the image I was getting was merely as good as component using DVi to HDMI and the Z3 didn't lock up, I would be reasonably happy and probably content with me lot. As it is, I feel like it's one thing after another! There is a part of me that wonders if buying a new DVD player would give me the kind of image I'm looking for - but I feel a little hesitant spending even more dosh if the Z3 itself is going to be problematical...

Ah well, I think I'll just have to put the pj through its paces over the next week - I've got enough reviews to be getting on with - and see how things go.

Cheers mate,

Mark

25. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sorry for my ignorance - can you not run VGA for the time being until the firmware gets sorted?

26. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Can't say I blame you. That is one sure fire way to be caning the life of your lamp. One of the very worst ways to kill the lamp by simply unplugging whilst it is still running.

I take it the PJ is still projecting light when it locks up ?

There's no way I would be living with that one and waiting for a firmware fix is absurd. The fact is it's a MAJOR fault and it's a fault that will most likely lead to other problems.

Stick it in a box with a thankyou note and send it back to Mr Ivojo. Let Sanyo go back to the drawing board and sort out the problems unless of course you like forking out that sort of money only to be a guinea pig.

There's far too much competition in and around this price point to be tolerating this kind of performance.

Sorry Z3 but that's a BIG :thumbsdow

27. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the reset button on the back not clear it but without the fan stopping?

28. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Aside from the fact that I don't have a VGA cable quite long enough, yes of course I could. The question is though, do I take the risk that turning the pj off (three times now) hasn't affected the unit in any way? Also, I have the opportunity of getting a refund, (which now it's happened again I'm feeling inclined to take) and I don't want to keep the Z3, have the firmware fix done... and find out there was a seperate problem all along! If I at some later point had to send the pj back to get it fixed I would be a little annoyed, to say the least.

Ekko Star - I'm starting to feel like I agree with your perspective on things...

I have no idea! I did take a look at it, but in the end decided to do what Ken/Ivojo advised and simply turned it off.

I've decided to not use the HDMI connection anymore...

29. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Sense of hesitation means you are not happy. I've always found it's not worth trying to convince yourself once you've got that feeling cos it never goes away.

The problem with having to pull the plug is the PJ never gets the chance to fan down the temp inside the lamp. In actual fact the temperature inside the lamp gets hotter and hotter especially when the power to it is switched off suddenly. The fan helps to bring the temperature down rapidly and is essential to the longevity of the lamp whilst switching off.

If you don't after a lock up power off then let the PJ cool down for at LEAST an hour, next time you switch it on the temp inside the lamp goes even higher eg residual heat + powered on heat is higher that just powered on heat alone.

It's this additional residual heat that kills the lamp in most instances. Even during that hour the heat is dissapating so slowly that it is killing it.

You only have to do this once or twice and it can easily half the life of your lamp or further. In actual fact everytime you do this there is no guarantee the lamp will fire again subsequently.

It maybe a firmware lock up problem but without scaremongering it's remedial symptoms will probably kill the lamp.

The Z3 might be capable of a good picture but I'm sorry (without being offensive) if this is the kind of problem it's having.....it's cr*p.

Take the refund, if your set on a Z3, wait for the firmware fix and go back and buy it in a month for about £1100 cos that's where it'll be priced no doubt.

30. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I don't know about how turning off the pj whilst hot affects the lamp, but if what you say is true then I think I should definitely accept a refund and buy a new pj.

But which one :confused: :confused: