1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please re new HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by AndyFov, May 5, 2004.

1. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi,

I've been given an old 900mhz duron, but I'm thinking of ebaying off its innards and putting something a little more cutting edge inside. The PC will be driving a CRT projector by VGA, so I don't need DVI and the like.

I have a 60gb hdd and a DVD rom knocking around, and can rob the 512mb ddr that's taking a slot in my main pc.

Anyway, I was thinking of buying:

PC Chips M848ALU mobo £23
    XP 2000 processcor retail £38 with fan and sink
    Radeon 9200SE 128meg DDR £30
    Soundblaster 5.1 Digital/pci Wave Sound Card - OEM £17.50

So, that shouldn't break the bank.

Any comments on the components? I'm not much of a gamer, and will be using mostly to watch dvds and to later install a freeview wintv card (hopefully before the Euro championships) If I've made a duff choice above I'd welcome and comments this side of getting my plastic out!

Also, with regard to wireless networking - I'm utterly witless. What's the best way forward. My current pc in my office is connected to broadband by a USB modem. Ideally I'd like to be able to remotely access both the media stored on this machine, and share its internet connection with the HCPC machine. Any recommendation on the correct cards to use would be greatly appreciated - Living in a bungalow, there will be about 35ft and 3 walls between the two pcs - Will wireless be reliable?

TIA

Andy

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    For wireless, I'd recommend a broadband/modem/wireless router combination device. One of these will handle the broadband connection itself, so that either one of the PC's can connect to the internet at any time, regardless of whether the other PC is on/off, or using the internet. I went for a Belkin device, and it has been extremely stable/reliable (I mean, it has just worked, since the day I bought it). Make sure you go for the 11g wireless (54Mbps) devices. Most wireless routers also support "wired" connections too, and so you will probably only need to buy one wireless card, with the other PC being attached directly by a network cable.

3. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    What I've not been able to establish, is whether the wireless ADSL modem/router option allows me to share files between the 2 PCs.

The htpc will only have minimal storage, and I've a bunch of files on my office pc, and it would be handy if I could access these remotely.

Andy

4. mreeves791

mreeves791
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should be able to share files without any problem. My only concern would be whether you will get a decent wireless signal through the 35ft and 3 walls. I have the dlink 54g kit and I have had to by a more powerful antenna just to get a decent signal 30ft through 1 wall. Obviously different type of walls/structures have a different impact on the degradation of the signal so that needs to be taken into account.

Regards
    Martin

5. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hmm, I may well choose not to risk it, and take the wired option. I'm in a bungalow, and already have a conduit running up to the attic on wall wall... I'd only have one wall to chase wires in the projector room - And I have other work which needs doing in there anyway.

Andy