• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Advice please projector and screen for small Cinema / Games Room

Jeb

Standard Member
Hi AV experts
Looking for some advise on what to buy best bang for buck, unfortunately I'm on a pretty tight budget I'd say max spend for projector and screen will be £700. Use will be movies, PS4 and WII. I've got speakers and amp already.

Screen needs to be pull down 16:9 wall or ceiling mounted and approx. 110" room is 2.55m wide so I think that's the biggest I can fit.

Projector will be ceiling mounted 3.6m from screen, will I need a short throw or will standard lens be ok?

One slight complication, I built the room in 2009 just before 3d got popular so my plumbed in HDMI cable isn't 3d compatible, putting a new one in isn't an option without taking ceiling down! I'm not that bothered about 3D but kids would love it, is it possible to do 3d movies over wireless HDMI?

Thanks in advance for the tips.

grims dale

Your old hdmi cable should work with 3d

grims dale

Any reason the screen has to be pull down not
Electric

Jeb

Standard Member
Mostly down to budget, would love an electric one but it will cost more for screen than a pull down plus I'll have to pay an electrician £150 to run power to it.

grims dale

I'm confused why can't you just plug it in a wall socket just to let you know I have a 100" electric screen for sale in the classifieds

Jeb

Standard Member
I don't have a wall socket close by, I should have put one in when building room but didn't.
All the power sockets are other end of room in a hidden cupboard where all the sources live with ir repeaters.

Jeb

Standard Member
Done some research and have got the following on short list.
Epson EH-TW5200
BenQ W1070+
BenQ W1080ST+
Optoma HD151X

Jeb

Standard Member
Decided to go with the Optoma HD151X ordered today should have next week, just need to sort a screen 100-106" and a ceiling mount any tips?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom