1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Please Panasonic Phd7 Better Than Pv500?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by usman24, Aug 22, 2005.

1. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have decided I may upgrade to a panasonic plasma. I was informed by someone that the phd7 panasonic had a better picture quality than the pv500. Is this true?

any phd7 owners out there who can help?

Also can it display an upscaled 720p @ 50 hz pal picture via hdmi board? I was told it is not compatible with hd.

Anyone?

2. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The panels have more set up tweaks available than the TVs. If you were thinking of getting a panel then I would wait for th PHD8 which should have sorted all the HMDI issues (60Hz).

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    The PHD7 is quite a big step up from the PV500 yes, you would need to go in analogue for HD resolutions, component for Sky HD and if you get HD DVD with hdmi you would need a dvi-vga transcoder to handle that which would cost around £150, but then a dvi input board would cost that anyway so not really an issue.

As Parklife says, the PHD8 will allow 720p and 1080i at 50Hz on the HDMI connection.

4. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    It may sound strange but why is the picture better on the phd7? Is it not the same screen without tuner/speakers?

5. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone done any side-by-side comparisons between the PHD7 and the PV500? I'd be surprised if there was a huge advantage to the PHD7, myself. Now that the TVs and panels are being marketed completely separately, it may be much harder to get side-by-sides anyway...

6. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The processor is better in the PHD7 because of more space, when there is no tuners, and anything else in there.

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    I have lived with a PW6 and a PHD6 and spent the day with a PV500 the other day (with 160 hours on it), and have also spent a bit of time with the PE50 on two occasions too.
    I know what the panels are capable of and you can't get the TV versions looking as good, they are a fair bit softer, and you seem to get noise similar to having the contrast set too high, and it is impossible to get rid of it.
    They are very good, and look the biz imho, but there is some sort of processing going on in there that really isn't needed.