Advice please on which dual tuner + lcd to buy

PAUL HUTTON

Standard Member
Hi All,I am currently running a 12 year old Panasonic crt tv (brilliant picture),running off a Sony STB,which will record to both my Panasonic DMR-EH50 dvd recorder which has a built in HD,or a VHS recorder.We live in a very strong signal area as we can get all the free view channels from an old analogue aerial mounted in the attic. I would very much like your advice as to which 32" Panasonic LCD tv and method/device I should buy to enable me to be able to tune into one digital channel and record another digital channel at the same time,or if possible record 2 digital channels at once. I have been doing some research and have discovered that there are such things as pvr devices with built in Hard drive units which have built in dual tuners. Is this method the most simple way of achieving what i want to do ,or is there a better method. I would also like to retain my old Pany dvdr to play dvd's on,and if possibe record to from the PVR device. Any help would be much appreciated.
Paul

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi All,I am currently running a 12 year old Panasonic crt tv (brilliant picture),running off a Sony STB,which will record to both my Panasonic DMR-EH50 dvd recorder which has a built in HD,or a VHS recorder.We live in a very strong signal area as we can get all the free view channels from an old analogue aerial mounted in the attic. I would very much like your advice as to which 32" Panasonic LCD tv and method/device I should buy to enable me to be able to tune into one digital channel and record another digital channel at the same time,or if possible record 2 digital channels at once. I have been doing some research and have discovered that there are such things as pvr devices with built in Hard drive units which have built in dual tuners. Is this method the most simple way of achieving what i want to do ,or is there a better method. I would also like to retain my old Pany dvdr to play dvd's on,and if possibe record to from the PVR device. Any help would be much appreciated.
Paul
Hello Paul.

Generally you seem to have a handle on the issues.

It can be problematic as different parts of the industry can and do use different names for the various class of devices.

We have a strict classification here to assist in clarity of understanding:

PVR's are hard disc based video recorders.
They almost always have two tuners.
They cannot record from any other source other than the aerial or signal source they are designed for... Thus, for different platforms there are Satellite PVR's , Cable PVR's, and the type you require - Terrestrial [or Freeview] PVR's.

They are generally simple and easy to use.

DVDR refers to any recorders that have removable disc facilities.
They may, or may not include hard drives.
Either way they are still referred to as DVDR's.
DVDR's always have only one digital tuner [... except for some very specific exceptions which do not apply here].

In operation they are slightly more complex to operate than PVR's.

All that said - given that you have a DVDR already, then yes a PVR is a perfect route for you to achieve your objective.
The two classes of machine are complementary and will provide great flexibility in use and will also provide permanent archiving facilities.

PAUL HUTTON

Standard Member
Hello Gavtech,

Thanks for your advice.Can you reccommend a decent reliable simple to use PVR with 2 digital tuners,and would I need to upgrade our aerial .I have looked into a few PVR's on this site and people seem to like the ones made by Humax,any particualr model i should go for. I dont mind paying around the £100 mark for a good one. As I will be watching SD freeview(terrestial) ,with no intention just yet of going for a dish to receive HD,which sort of TV should I go for ,one which is geared up for full HD or HD ready.I dont really understand all this resolution bit,but have noticed people on this site say that a full HD TV using SD input does not perform as well as say a HD ready TV .Would you agree and if so which 32" LCD Panasonic model would you reccommend me getting. I would like a tv which eliminates motion blur as much as possible and have decent balck levels. My Uncle has a 32" TX-32LXD85 which is running off a normal roof mounted aerial which gives a good picture considering he is in a poor freeview signal area.

Paul

Wayang

Novice Member
I would be inclined to sidestep the issue, consign your existing kit to spare room viewing and get a new TV, a satdish and a Humax Foxstat HDR pvr. The highest definition is I believe 1080i and the Humax will support this. As the name implies, this is a Freesat device for a free service. I gather Freesat has a higher HD content than Freeview (admittedly, not a lot for the time being) but even on SD, the results with my Pany are vastly superior to analogue.

plester

Standard Member
Paul,

I have a humax and its great - does everything that you would want - record two channels and you can watch a third (depending on what your recording).
I have been looking for Humax's for family. Richersounds is pretty good on price for a 160gb version - £119, the only way I know to get one under 100 pounds is to buy a graded one direct from Humax
HUMAX UK Direct Sales Website

Regards
plester

PAUL HUTTON

Standard Member
Hello Wayang,I have compared the TX-32 lzd80 with the TX-32 lxd85 which my uncle has and it looks like a step down to me ,or am i wrong.It has lost the 100hz's engine,motion picture Pro2,and motion focus.Have these changes dropped the picture quality over theTX-32 lxd85 do you know and would the TX-32 lzd80 be able to handle SD well.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom