1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please on this set-up

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Zig, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning on buying a Panasonic PT-AE300 and I hope to use a HCPC for DVD's via DVI. I have a spare ASUS A7M266 mobo with a XP1400 processor and 256MB PC2100DDR ram that I intend to use, will this be ok?
    I am looking at the Sapphire ATI Radeon 9500 Atlantis 128MB DDR DVI/TV (AGP) to provide the bells and whistles, I will be running Win2K Pro and may well indulge in a little Counterstrike on the big screen which this setup should handle fine. Your thoughts will be much appriciated. :smoke:

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK, no one's yet managed 1:1 pixel mapping on the AE300 via DVI, & I think even VGA.

You'd need to do a search an avs though - maybe someone there's managed it.

You won't benefit greatly using a HTPC if not 1:1 - the PJ will be scaling the image to suit the panels.

3. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I dont know much about the ae300 and 1 to 1 mapping via dvi but the rest of the spec looks fine for dvd playback and some gaming, if you intend to run dscaler to improve the picture from a stb then you might need a slighlt better processor...about an xp1900+ will probably be sufficent.

If you buy the 9500 128mb non pro there is a software hack available which opens up the extra 4 pipelines effectivly turning it into a 9700, ideal if your gaming. I know it works with a Connect3D one because I've done it although there have been some reports of bad picture artifacts with some cards.

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hmmm, Kramers post just crossed mine but thats what I thought the situation was.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I was under the impression you could do 1:1 mapping on the vga input on the ae300. The DVI is a bit weirder .Could be wrong but I remember reading plenty on AVS about this.

6. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help. Given the 1.1 pixel mapping issue do you think I would be better of going for a progressive scan DVD player instead? I would like a good picture and I guess if a cheapish :rolleyes: player can give better results it would be less hassle :rolleyes:

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If it wont 1 to 1 map then I hate to say it but you would be as well off with something like the Phillips 963 or, buy an external scaler such as the briteveiw if you need it for more than one source.

Its worth doing a bit more research first before you give up on the HTPC idea.

8. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips looks a good option and will be more user friendly so I may well explore that option. I would still intend connecting a PC up for gaming etc. but that comes secondary to the quaility of DVD playback. Thanks for your help.
    :)