1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Please on second hand DVD-32r

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Dick Sternum, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Dick Sternum

Dick Sternum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm currently looking at getting a second hand DVD-32r. I have the serial number from the guy that is selling it, and will check this against the help desk on Monday (nobody seems to be answering today).

Is there a way of telling which build number the player is, or the age of the player from the serial number? Or is there a better way of doing it?

Apparently the player was purchased in Nov 2002, and has recently been back to Tag and has "been entirely revised and updated". I'd like to get a diffinative answer to it's age and build, as the last couple of emails I've had from the seller have started to put doubts in my mind (I'll explain):

I asked what the revision and update involved, and what Tag did to the player and he say's doesn't know (apparently, he's not technically minded - but his dealer knows all about it).

I aksed him the colour of the puck (from an earler thread in the archives) and he responded with the following:

"The pluck is silver, which is why it went back to the manufacturer for an overall upgrade (on the other hand, it would be easy to change the pluck and pretends that it is a later model)."

This seems to indicate that he know's more than he is letting on about the refurbishment, but it's the part in brackets that worries me the most.

Obviously I would go and demo the player before I part with any money what so ever, and at least he is happy for me to do this.

Any advice from you guys would be greatly received.

2. Dick Sternum

Dick Sternum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Arranged to demo the player, and have been told that the build number is S58 which I takes it makes it a second generation. So all seems well.

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The puck should be black if it has the latest transport fitted. Best to talk to Barry on Monday when hes back off his hols and he can confirm exactly whats been done to it :thumbsup:

4. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    That is not true, the pucks were silver, then black, and then back to silver. See Dr Zucker's post in this thread. (Dick, Dr Zucker was CEO of TAG Mclaren so he really does know!)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142247&highlight=puck

5. simon40

simon40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dick,
    My DVD32R was bought March 2002 and I took delivery June 2002. The puck was silver, about an inch diameter and quite weighty. I've had a few issues with the player over the last 6 months or so (IAG have been absolutely superb by the way), but, basically the mech has been changed for the latest version.

The new puck is also silver. However it is much lighter (feels very light) and (I have just measured) it is 4 cm diameter.

I did not appreciate how good the CD reproduction or picture quality is with the Tag player until it was iaway for attention and had to utilise my other player.

Hope this helps

Simon

6. georgema

georgema
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, if I remember correctly the new drive mechanism also used a new silver puck which, as Simon says, is lighther than the original. It's also a bit harder to place properly on the spindle and takes a bit of getting used to. I thought that one of the distinguishing identifiers for the new mechanism was that the spindle, where the puck sits, had a black core whereas the old mechanism had a silver core. This is all from memory so please correct me if this isn't correct. My DVD32 is in storage at the moment as I'm moving house...still......

The new drive mechanism is certainly worth having for both lower noise and better disc compatability.

George

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi all.
    Dead simple this one, first ask Barry on the helpdesk if the unit has indeed been in for repair and when. That will tell you the guy is on the level, and if it was in the past 18 months or so then it will be up to date including the last go at getting the door mechanism perfect...... the DPA might prevent Barry from telling you what it had done and why though......(stupid rule but...)

Transport (loader mech) wise, forget all about the colour of the puck etc. even though most of you are correct that the later puck is lighter and larger diameter in isolation it is difficult to tell........ Just go straight to the setup menu, player info, and look at the current software/firmware version it should say V3.85 (for the software, if it isn't just download and bung it on) and firmware S58, that is the firmware for the later transport (loader mech) if it says anything else its the older mech. Also check the serial number on the info menu tallies with the sticker on the back.......

8. Dick Sternum

Dick Sternum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Spoke to Barry (I assume) at IAG who confirmed that since it says /S58 after the software version in the player information screen, it has a new transport. He also confirmed that it is the colour of the spindle and not the colour of the puck that tells the two apart:

Old transport = silver metal spindle
    New transport = black plastic spindle

I've now bought the player (off ebay) under the understanding that I will demo it before making payment and so hopefully I will soon be a happy bunny indeed!