1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please on recording digital tv

Discussion in 'TVs' started by teddyt72, Oct 25, 2004.

1. teddyt72

teddyt72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have bought a Sony KD-28DL10 U Digital Tv with a matching sony VCR and DVD player. we are having problems recording Digital TV. When we have it on analogue it's fine, we can record no problems. However when we put it onto digital to record the recording goes blank if we turn the Tv off. Is this normal and is there a way to stop this? We also can't change channel if we are recording digital, again, is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Eddie.

2. Bender

Bender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the answer is yes.

Your IDTV only has 1 digital tuner which becomes a problem if you want to record one digital channel and watch another. Your VCR only has an analogue tuner, so taping analogue programs is fine but it's using the one and only digital tuner in the tv to tape digital channels, hence turn of the tv and it looks like the digital tuner is also turned off.

The only way around this I'm afraid is buy a separate digi. box if you want to be able to watch a one digital channel while recording another.

3. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All true. Manufacterers are inexplicably dodging putting digital tuners into their VCR's. It looks like DVD Recorders are the only possibility for that.

I spoke to a Sony rep not too long ago, who assured me Sony were in the process of getting a DVD Recorder ready, but the new range is out now and there's been nothing. For the time being, you'll indeed have to link a seperate digi box straight to the video to act as its own seperate digital tuner.

4. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Your tv and vcr have a feature called SMARTLINK -

Essentially, you can use the tv's own 7 day epg to pick a program to record from it's digital tuner and the tv will tell the vcr when to record.

This method is very simple, and doesn't require you to leave the tv on. If you do switch the tv off, and it is waiting to record something - the digital tuner part of the tv switches on and over to the correct channel to be recorded. If the tv is on and you forget that you'd set the timer earlier, and try to switch digital channels - the tv reminds you.

Refer to your owner's manual for more info.