Advice please on passive 3D telly (45"-50", £1k)

Diet

Standard Member
Hello there. Am hoping to get some advice please on what telly to go for (unsurprisingly, in this forum).

Budget is £1k for a telly with full HD and pretty decent 3D, which has to be passive (active glasses give my wife a headache within seconds, unfortunately). We can’t go bigger than 50" (space on the wall), and I won’t go smaller than our current, very old 43" telly, hence looking at between 45" and 50", and don’t care if it’s plasma or LED.

Don’t care about sound (have separate AVR/speakers), and have full Virgin Media package, so don’t really need much from any Smart TV features, although native Lovefilm/Amazon app would be pretty handy. We don’t have an aerial in the house (never needed one), so if one is required for the Smart TV functionality, then that would be a problem. I’d need to have an audio out (optical?) to feed any Smart TV functionality's audio back into the amp, but am presuming that’s pretty standard.

I had originally been looking at the Sony KDL50W829B, as there are deals out there that would give me a free Blu-Ray player and a chance of a PS4, not to mention it’s been reviewing crazily well, but unfortunately the active 3D is a showstopper! I went to Richer Sounds today and the guy suggested two tellies for me to consider: the LG 47LB730V and the Panasonic TX50AS650B.

Are those the two best options I have? Anything else I should/could consider?

Thanks in advance for all help :)

EDIT: The two Richer Sounds options are £1,050 and £1,080 respectively, so I have a little flexibility in the budget, but I am hoping to try and keep it as close to £1,000 as possible.

Last edited:

George a L

Hi, I think the lack of response is down to these two sets are not ready available in UK think both are due for release this month. So l presume you haven't seen either in the flesh?

Diet

Standard Member
Thanks, George. The guy in Richer Sounds said he was expecting some in, but my research suggested something about the LG at least being around since March. Maybe that was just the official launch though? Maybe I'll bump again in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for replying :)

MrMav11

Did you decide? I also want passive 3D, again the Sony looked best but no good as active 3D.

I'm also now looking at the 50" of LG LB650v and Panasonic AS650.

Have you seen them yet? Bought 1 and got comments?

Thanks

creedx

Novice Member
I'm also now looking at the 50" of LG LB650v and Panasonic AS650.

The LB670V has local contrast over the LB650V, maybe it's worth taking into consideration especially with the small price difference (at least in my region, I'm looking at the 47").

I've subscribed to this thread , we could get some feedback on the AS650 before reviews. Almost bought the W8, but I'll give it a few weeks.

MrMav11

The LB670V has local contrast over the LB650V, maybe it's worth taking into consideration especially with the small price difference (at least in my region, I'm looking at the 47").

I've subscribed to this thread , we could get some feedback on the AS650 before reviews. Almost bought the W8, but I'll give it a few weeks.
The link to the thread isn't working.

So you say the 670v has dimming over the 650v which doesn't? Is that only difference? Can't see the 670v on UK site or general search either though.

Hopefully seeing some today, I'm wondering if the 650v is exclusive to Currys as can't find anywhere else. Also ice read somewhere that the 650v doesn't suppose natively the magic remote, it needs a motion dongle? as well? unsure on this.

I want at least a 50" TV though

Last edited:

creedx

Novice Member
It's not a thread (looks pretty similar), someone in the comments on that news article mentioned he will be looking at the AS650. (scroll down)

670 vs 650 differences (according to lg.com/hu)
- Only the 670 has Micro Pixel Control
- 700HZ vs 500Hz MCI
- Different Stand
- 2.1 (24W) vs 2.0 (20W) audio
- Magic remote optional on 650v

I see the panny 50as650 is nearly £500 cheaper than the 55" which is retailing at £1479 in john lewis ,doesn't make any sense to me and I,m going to look at that myself now after initially only considering 55" .
Problem is there's very few reviews ,I found one in Polish and linked it on my own thread ,I just really need to know if this years models are an improvement over last years ,no gore gone conclusion these days as technological improvements are compromised by profit making .

MrMav11

It's not a thread (looks pretty similar), someone in the comments on that news article mentioned he will be looking at the AS650. (scroll down)

670 vs 650 differences (according to lg.com/hu)
- Only the 670 has Micro Pixel Control
- 700HZ vs 500Hz MCI
- Different Stand
- 2.1 (24W) vs 2.0 (20W) audio
- Magic remote optional on 650v
It's just the link wouldn't open for me so couldn't see anything.
Not too much difference, would need the magic remote though, unsure why not included seems daft.
Can't see where 670v to buy in UK though.
I see the panny 50as650 is nearly £500 cheaper than the 55" which is retailing at £1479 in john lewis ,doesn't make any sense to me and I,m going to look at that myself now after initially only considering 55" .
Problem is there's very few reviews ,I linked I ne in Polish and linked it on my own thread ,I just really need to know if this years models are an improvement over last years ,no gore gone conclusion these days as technological improvements are compromised by profit making .
The 50" AS650 though isn't available in JL unfortunately. Says is at RS though might have to pop although still tempted by the WebOS...

Diet

Standard Member
I still haven't bought. Not expecting funds through for a couple more weeks yet, so still just research at present.

Local dimming seems pretty important, especially as one of the reasons to upgrade is that our old telly has such poor local contrast in very dark movie scenes currently.

WebOS is still looking like a winner to me at the moment though, and so LG (LB730V) is currently forerunner for me. Just wish it was 50" not 47".

MrMav11

Sure that wasn't there before?? So it's £900 with a £100 cashback for 50" or £1279 inc £200 cashback for 55" big difference!
I still haven't bought. Not expecting funds through for a couple more weeks yet, so still just research at present.

Local dimming seems pretty important, especially as one of the reasons to upgrade is that our old telly has such poor local contrast in very dark movie scenes currently.

WebOS is still looking like a winner to me at the moment though, and so LG (LB730V) is currently forerunner for me. Just wish it was 50" not 47".
I like WebOS but I want at least a 50" as well so it would have to be the LB750v for me and then buy magic remote. Not sure if the Panny AS650 has local dimming?

Might try and see some today

Sure that wasn't there before?? So it's £900 with a £100 cashback for 50" or £1279 inc £200 cashback for 55" big difference!

I like WebOS but I want at least a 50" as well so it would have to be the LB750v for me and then buy magic remote. Not sure if the Panny AS650 has local dimming?

Might try and see some today

Yes ,be good if somebody can report what the new ones are like ,the new 50" as650b is now the same price as last years 55et60b model . I,m going to stick some templates on the wall and see if I can justify the extra 5" for nearly £400 !
That £400 will pay for q acoustics 7000 speakers or an oppo blu ray player ,I,ll need some convincing now especially as in a few years time the 4k sets will become affordable

MrMav11

Well I'd prefer a 55" purely for the fact should get as big as can at moment, but one of the seats is 6' away so unsure. tbh the physical size difference isn't that much different between the 59 and 55".

Hopefully JL will have one in when go. Panny one like the look of all catchup, my stream, TV anywhere etc, whereas Lg like WebOS, magic remote.....

What motion standard, speed does Panny have and does it have backlight dimming? Is it edge or back lit?

Diet

Standard Member
Can't work out with the Panasonic—given my lack of aerial—whether the fancy catchup will actually work, or whether I'd end up better off just using my Virgin Media for it all.

MrMav11

Can't work out with the Panasonic—given my lack of aerial—whether the fancy catchup will actually work, or whether I'd end up better off just using my Virgin Media for it all.
Don't take this as gospel but speaking to Panasonic lad he says without arial it will do past, not future for guide, bit confused with that remark tbh. Think I'm going to go woth the 50" AS650, as the extra £379 seems a bit too much. It's a nice set, none of the Internet working as the in shop WiFi rubbish though.

The LG WebOS wasn't fully working because of WiFi also, but it was ok, not brilliant and think it will need a few updates before decent.

He said the Panny was only TV that worked well with iOS to beam/send to the TV, as lot are Miracast/Android flavour. LG for example.

He says as long as the TV is on standby you can "TV Anywhere" to a tablet/phone to watch live TV or recorded to a USB connected.

MrMav11

Interesting to know. Thanks :)
Be able to tell you better next week as just bought the 50 " AS650B!! Delivered next week. Couldn't justify the extra big jump for the 55" although would have liked to.

Now I've read in hear about calibration etc, something I've never done so need to read up on this, some "hidden" on DVDs or Blu-Rays apparently?

Diet

Standard Member
I've got the Disney Wow Blu-Ray and also found a "THX Tune-up" app on the ios App Store ... Hoping those'll help me calibrate properly.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion! :)

MrMav11

I've got the Disney Wow Blu-Ray and also found a "THX Tune-up" app on the ios App Store ... Hoping those'll help me calibrate properly.

Looking forward to hearing your opinion! :)
Ah I do have the THX on my iPhone I remember now I got it when it was free! Is this all I need then?

MrMav11

No idea. Never done it before. Heard good things about the Disney Wow Blu-Ray though.
I'd never heard of it, just went on Amazon to see, so it's a specific calibration disc, did you import it? Where can I get from? Does it have to be a Blu-Ray version or is there a DVD version?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom