advice please on mounting a tv

riversider1

Standard Member
Reaction score
hello ,i am wanting to mount a lg37" tv on the wall above my fireplace but i don't know what wires to bury in the wall.At present i only have a aerial to the tv and a power lead,would it be best to bury the aerial wire ,power lead and a few scart leads in case i need them in the future? Also i don't want to move my socket so is it possible to buy a power lead for the tv and scart leads around 5 metres long and would they be ok to be all bunched together if i chase the wall out? I also need a bracket i think i can get one for around 40 pound after doing a quick internet search.

Thanks for any help.

Hi

Most bits of kit now have HDMI or component inputs/outputs so I wouldn't bother with SCART unless you have some equipment you use which has them.

Are you talking about running a spur from the socket and chasing it up the wall or simply plugging in cable and running it up the wall? The forma would be advisable.

Ideally you need to keep your mains supply cable away from your signal cables. Mains does interfere with signal and you may find a degredation in quality of picture or even loss of signal in some cases.

For brackets there's a few available here depending on whether you want flat. tilt or flexible;

M-Form - 32" to 52" Universal LCD/Plasma Bracket

M-Form - 32" to 52" Tilting Universal LCD/Plasma Bracket

M-Form - 32" to 52" Articulated Universal LCD/Plasma Bracke

Hope this helps you on your way.

Regards
Graham

hello Graham i very rarely use scart leads apart from the kids using the playstation3 which they normally have it on upstairs and i used to use a scart for the video but i now have sky+ so it doesn't get used anymore.I was going to chase the wall out and run the tv power cable and a aerial wire as i thought it would be much easier,all i was going to do was just have the power lead exiting the wall with a plug on near the double socket in the corner of my room (the wife laughed) and the same with the wire coming out behind the tv.

thanks

Hi

Sounds like a plan. Just see if you can isolate the aerial cable from the power. If you're chasing the wall out anyway then you'd have to use the metal channel stuff to protect it. Maybe use one channel per cable to seperate them properly.

Regards
Graham

ok i will separate the power and aerial wire Graham,its pointless doing the work and having a fuzzy picture:).Can you get the "metal channel stuff" from b&q ? Do you think the wife was right to laugh at the way i am going to do it Graham:D

Hi

I wouldn't have the wire just sticking out with a plug on. What I would do is run the wire up to a fused backplate and then run the power cable to the TV from there. This will be much neater and also gives you the added protection of a fused spur for your TV. Something like this 20A Dp Sw + Neon Metal Clad - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys.

The metal protection channelling is available from homebase/b&q etc.

Your wife has no reason to laugh at you, unless she thinks she can do it better herself!? ;)

Regards
Graham

umm i think that would look a tad neater Graham,,i think i will buy her one and she can fit it ;).

Thanks for your help ,i will try your suggested way for neatness.

Paul.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom