Advice Please on HDMI/DVI cables

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Steviemacca, Sep 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Steviemacca

Steviemacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Have searched loads of places for a definitive answer to this. Hoping someone can help. I want to connect my pc which has a dvi slot to my tv which has a hdmi slot. Is this possible or can it only work the other way round.

Also am I correct in assuming dvi produces better picture quality than a vga connector?

Thanks for your help.

Steviemacca

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    A dvi slot as you call it is no one thing. It can be either DVI-A (rare), DVI-D (probably not) or DVI-I (most common). You can find the differences on the FAQ at the top of this forum.

HDMI is a digital connection. So is DVI-D. DVI-D and HDMI can be connected with a simple DVI-D<->HDMI converter or cable. It is not directional (it works either way around), however an HDMI source may not work with a DVI display. This is due to HDCP encryption nothing to worry about in the PC world until MS Vista arrives.

DVI-I however is basically both DVI-A and DVI-D. So a DVI-D cable can be plugged into a DVI-I socket, but a DVI-I cable cannot be plugged into a DVI-D socket.

So, if the DVI 'slot' on your PC is either DVI-I or DVI-D, then you should beable to connect your PC to the HDMI socket on the TV using a simple DVI-D<->HDMI cable or adaptor.

Whether you get a picture is another matter...

-Ian