Advice please on degrading signal

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by andyatkins, Feb 13, 2009.

1. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks

I would appreciate your advice on what the problem may be and what I should do to resolve a steadily degrading picture/signal quality issue I have.

I've got a Sky HD & a digibox running of a dish with a Quad LNB. The dish was installed 7 years ago and then upgraded to connect the HD box when HD first came out in June 06.

Over the last year I've had a steadily degrading siginal to the point now I can't watch some channels at all - presumably those with low output - like the Military Channel. Yes it gets noticably worse in bad weather but it's a constant issue. ths issue is worse onthe HD box (but with SD channels) in comprsion to the digibox but the digbox is certainly affected too. There are some trees that have been growing within line of sight but I've had them cut back so I'm reasonably certain the dish has a clear view.

So my question is what do you think is the problem? A friend of mine with just a Digibox who had a similar problem said he persuaded Sky to send out an Engineer (free of charge after threatening to cancel the subscription) ho sadi the probelm 'was the card in the Dish' - he replaced it and it resolved the problem.

All help and advice much appreciated.

Thanks

2. kenedin

kenedin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    As your signal has been steadily deteriorating over the last year, it would seem to point to a dish problem. Is it clear of any debris? Pigeon dropping etc. It's not unknown. Is the dish rusty ( if you can see it )? The LNB may be faulty. Or maybe water has got into the cables.

A failing PSU in the digibox may be to blame, although loss of channels etc tend to come on in a relatively short space of time. ( Mine was two weeks from first signs , to box going kaput ).