1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please on connections...

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Steve Tustin, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Could you advise on the best way to cable all this please. When I have had help via this anonymous type of forum before, I dropped money in a charity box. Let me know your favoured charity genre along with your advice and I will do so again.

Just purchased a Toshiba RDXS32 hard disk DVD recorder which has RGB input and output. I also use a DiTV2000 NTL (Pace) cable box.

My TV is a JVC AV-28GT1BJF with 3 SCARTS - RGB input on SCART1 and TV-LINK via SCART2. Possible AV connections are EXT-1, RGB, EXT-2, EXT-2S, EXT-3 and EXT-4.

And to which box should I insert the ariel? My guess is the Tosh

Want to have the ability to route route sound to AV1 or AV2 on my amplifier but I guess that is just a matter or running the audio cable?

Finally, I just have standard fully-wired SCART leads - are the more expensive ones REALLY worth the difference in price?

Thanks all!

:lease:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't know the NTL box but assume that it is similar to a Sky Digibox. If so it will output RGB so a reasonable scart from that to the digibox to the DVD Recorder and perhaps a slightly better one from the Recorder to AV1 scart on the TV so you will be able to use the better quality RGB signal all the way down the chain.

If you have an AV amp you will need either an optical or digital co-axial lead from the Recorder to the amp and probably a pair of analogue phono leads from the TV to the amp to take care of sound either from the digibox or from the TV if watching an analogue programme.

If you wish to have complete flexibility of watching and recording analogue or digital programmes you will need to plug the aerial into the digibox, then another length from digibox to recorder and a third length from Recorder to TV. Less flexible but possibly more practical is to connect the aerial to the digibox then a second length from the digibox to the TV.

The free scart leads aren't very good and it it should give you noticeable improvements if you upgrade to something better with individually screened leads. I would suggest a couple of Thor leads at £12.99 each from TV Cables in the power buy forum but I wouldn't spend more than that. If you want to spend less the better cable should be from the Recorder to the TV.

Hope this helps.

3. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Ian - seems to work a treat!

Hopefully a kiddies charity is OK

Take Care

Steve

4. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to be a pain, but can't find reference to Thor in the Power Buy forum - am I missing it?

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sorry that was my fault as I should have said the Special Offers forum and not Power Buy.

The thread is here but then link contained in the thread to the special offer no longer seems to work. On checking it again I find that the whole TVCables site isn't working this morning either.

Play sell them at £17.99 here which is a pound more than TVCables but they are temporarily out of stock

Edit - link to TV Cables site is now working again and the Thor scart at £16.99 is to be found here

6. Steve Tustin

Steve Tustin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    .. thanks for your help - much appreciated
    :smashin: