1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please on camera purchase

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by culpepper, Jun 5, 2005.

1. culpepper

culpepper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've passed my trusty old Fuji 2800 onto my eldest daughter and intend to buy a new camera. I've been around the local camera stores and played with a few and i've read some magazine reviews.

I will be mainly taking photos of my 3 daughters aged 19,21 & 23. 3 Grand daughters aged 5 months, 10 months & 5 years, Landscapes around my home which is on the edge of Portsmouth Harbour and I will also be taking it to Spain with me twice a year.

I am thinking seriously about the Minolta Dimage A200 as it seems to have everything i need and also seems to have plenty of growing room if i decide to go beyond the basics. I have a budget of up to £450, bearing in mind that i'll probably buy online, which means i'll get more for my money than shopping in the High Street. I have discounted the panasonic FZ20 & FZ5. I have found a dealer selling the A200 for a little over £360 including delivery.

I'd also discounted the Canon Powershot S1 IS due to the fact that it seemed to be a bit pricey for a 3 megapixel camera, But i have just noticed that the S2 IS which is 5 megapixel and has numerous enhancements is available on line for about the same price (£350ish). Does anybody know anything about this one.

I've also thought about the Fuji S7000 but am corcerned with lack of Image stabilisation as i will be doing a lot of close up work and will not always have a tripod with me.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

2. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Strange - why have you discounted the FZ20 ??...probably the best sub £450 camera on the market :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Have a look at the Oly 770 - great camera now for only £210 !! or the C8080 if you don't require a large zoom.