Advice please on Amp to go with Rega 1 TT, EPOS M16 Speakers and Samsung TV ue40ku6400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by frazzledazzle, Jan 23, 2017.

1. frazzledazzle

frazzledazzle
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Topic:
    Advice please on Amp to go with Rega 1 TT, EPOS M16 Speakers and Samsung TV ue40ku6400

Issue:
    My primary concern is whether the amplifier that we are looking at is okay to deliver good performance out of my speakers. The Marantz PM6005 has 2*45W output at 8ohms (able to run 2 pairs of speakers). This is what I'm not sure about. Will this run my speakers okay? Given "Maximum power output per channel - RMS into 8 ohms" and my speakers are a pair of EPOS M16 (150 W max output, tri-wireable, 4ohms, recommended amp power 50 - 200 W)

Does it make a difference if the amp is rated at 8 ohms and does the speakers being up to tri-wireable provide a solution if this is an issue. Also is the output from the amp okay for the required input for the speakers?

Finally, would the forum recommend that a subwoofer is not really required with the drivers in the speakers (the proposed amp does not have an active (RCA) subwoofer output, or would you suggest that I should be looking at an amp that does? (any suggestions, budget up to £280)

Background and system details:
    My wife has very kindly bought me a Rega 1 turntable and given the thumbs up to get my vinyl in the livingroom ("yas!"). Rega RP-1 record player Specifications (Spec)
    Rega RP1 review (Review)

The speakers that I have are a pair of EPOS M16's
    Discontinued Epos M16 Speakers (Pair) (Dark Cherry) - Superfi (Spec)
    (150 W max output, triwireable, 4ohms, recommended amp power 50 - 200 W)

The TV that we have is the Samsung ue40ku6400
    40" Samsung UE40KU6400 - Specifications (Spec)
    (optical output to amp)

The amplifier that my wife was planning to buy was the Marantz PM6005
    MARANTZ PM6005Black Stereo Amplifier (see Spec tab).
    https://www.marantz.co.uk/uk/produc.../images/products/PM6005/XL_pm6005_n_bk_re.jpg (rear view of amp)

The PM6005 has a phono stage that works with a moving magnet cartridge.

The standard cartridge with the Rega 1 is the ortofon omb 5 (moving magnet). However, most reviews seem to suggest that the turntable is significantly enhanced by the addition of the performance pack (better slipmat, better belt, better cartridge Rega’s own Bias 2)
    Rega RP1 Performance Pack review (any thoughts?)

The PM6005 has 2*45W output at 8ohms (able to run 2 pairs of speakers). This is what I'm not sure about. Will this run my speakers okay? Given "Maximum power output per channel - RMS into 8 ohms"

Incidentally the only 2 differences that I can see between the PM6006 and the PM6006 are £80 and a second optical input, which I don't think that I'd need.

I've also got a Warfedale Diamond subwoofer, which I'll use elsewhere if the advice from the forum is that the speakers are plenty and the subwoofer unnecessary as the PM6005 and 6006 Does not have an active (RCA) subwoofer output.
    Wharfedale Diamond SW150 Subwoofer (Black) - Superfi (Spec)

Music:
    Mostly electronic music (Jeff Mills, FSOL, Brian Eno, nu jazz like St Germain, etc), some folk music, some celtic music amongst other genres. Mostly played on vinyl or through youtube on TV (eg Boiler Room mixes)

TV and Film:
    Stereo fine, no surround sound required.