1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice please - next gen video formats, keep my current LCD?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by David Mackenzie, Apr 10, 2005.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Hey everyone, I'd like your opinions on this.

I have a Sony KLV26GH2 which as you probably know doesn't support HDCP. It has only analog video inputs.

I plan to import either a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player upon the US launch. What do you think the chances of Component video being supported are? Sadly it's looking pretty slim, despite the fact that D-Theater HD movies output over Component without any problem.

So with this in mind, should I sell my TV now while it still has some sort of value? And immediately replace it with an HDCP compliant set?

Or do you think I should just hang on and see what LCD TVs are available nearer the time that the next gen formats are actually available to me?

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I do not think the bottom will fall out of the market in the short term, because most people do not have SKY and will not have heard about HD. You have to decide for yourself when is the best time to dump it. Progress will continue to be made and keep prices up, but there will be a slow downward presssure on prices, IMHO.

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Thanks for the response Jim.

Do you think LCD technology will have improved a lot by the end of this year when I'm expecting to get the player? Will black levels and response times have improved any? Will HDMI inputs be included for certain on just about every TV?

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    WE know for a fact that this will be true for Sharp and Phillips and I believe Panasonic. I am pretty certain that it will be standard before the year end. The new sets are due to hit the streets from the summer onwards.

It is only a guess about the other improvements, but I imagine they will. Remember that the sets are launched usually annually so the summer release will be around for a while. I bought my Sharp in October and lucky that I did because they ran out of stock because of it's popularity. Wait until around then and they will be pobably starting to discount the new models. I got my 37" for £2,200 and they started at £3,500. I do not think they dropped much below the price I bought at after that.