Advice please. Need 50" plasma <£1400 mainly for gaming.

DrGekko

Now that the boss (my wife) has given me the go-ahead for a major gaming upgrade (an HDTV!!), I need some advice from you experts out there from previous experience.

We're lucky to have a large plain wall which can accommodate upto 50" of plasma/LCD screenage. My wife doesn't really care about picture quality too much as long as Emmerdale & X-Factor look ok!! My son and I really enjoy playing Burnout on XBox 360 but more importantly, I wanted to enjoy the 720p res of Call of Duty 4 due out in Nov and especially GTA 4 next year. I've been reading a couple of comments on these forums discussing pros and cons of plasma vs. LCD used for gaming and I can't decide.

Any comments and particularly recommended makes/models & suppliers would be very much appreciated. Features such as Freeview, extended free warranty etc. are very important too.

Thanks!

Here's a rough shortlist of potential products...

How's are these???

Atec 470 47" LCD

Panasonic Viera TH50 Plasma

Samsung PS50Q97HD Plasma

Samsung LE46M87BD LCD

I know there are significant price differences but searching the net, they can all be found for <&#163;1400.

N

nickthegreat

are LCD's really more expensive? Id say they are fairly similar. In anycase, someone will suggest the Panasonic X70 - definately view this screen in person and don't rely on others advice if gaming is your plan.

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
PX70 or sammy Q97 should do you fine. Pio 508 is out of budget. Maybe consider PZ70 if you want full 1080p out of the xbox but suspect that might be asking a bit much on the Emmerdale picture quality front so I wouldn't go that route.

tigandken

With any Plasma you've got to be a bit careful with retention/burn-in, but after keeping a paranoid eye on mine of 3 months or so, I've stopped worrying. I have the Samsung PS50Q97HD which is around about 1K, rather nice, and meets all my gaming needs (PS3 / Wii mainly), and has a "screen wash" function for to ease burn-in paranoia. Check the owners thread for pics with PS3.

There are plenty of other screens that would also do you.

DrGekko

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom