Advice please - Naim MuSo 2, B&W Wedge or Kef LSX

interbear

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for advice or experiences from anyone who’s used any of the following:
  • Naim MuSo 2 - currently £1,299 at John Lewis (with £100 gift card) or £1,290 at Richer Sounds.
  • Kef LSX - currently £999 at Richer Sounds
  • Bowers and Wilkins Wedge - currently £799 at both (a promo, it’s usually £899)
My primary listening requirements are Apple Music via Airplay and Internet Radio stations. I want to ensure that whatever speaker I buy will support any “HiFi” version of Apple Music that is rumoured to be imminent. The speaker will be located on a bookshelf in the living room. It’s close enough to be hard wired via Ethernet to the BT Smart Hub 2 router, which I assume will provide for a more stable connection than Wi-fi and will mean that the speaker should always be found as an Airplay device from either my iPhone, iPad or Mac. This is an assumption of mine so please advise if I am incorrect. I’ve had and returned too many speakers that have had unreliable Wi-fi connectivity and therefore do not show up as visible devices via Airplay, hence why I’m thinking Ethernet connection is the answer.

I‘m interested in feedback on :
  • Sound quality via the 3 devices noted when using Airplay
  • Stereo separation / soundstage (I’m assuming the Kef LSX is better for this)
  • App usability and reliability (I’ve been burned by the Technics Audio Centre app that rarely worked or connected with its own speakers). Given my use case, I’d rather set the speaker up via its own app and then stream via the Apple Music app, TuneIn radio etc, rather than be reliant on the speaker‘s own app.
  • WiFi connectivity via a BT Smart Hub 2 - if I decide to move the speaker to another room, this would be important.
The only one of these that I’ve been able to listen to is the B&W Wedge. I liked it. Decent sound, clarity and pretty wide soundstage for a single speaker. It’s also the cheapest option on my list with the current promo. The Naim MuSo is at the top end of my budget, don’t want to pay more than that.

All opinions, feedback and alternative suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

The issue with devices not turning up on your network is down to your router. There is a known bug with the BT Hub 2 that causes the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks to appear isolated from each other. BT are working on a firmware update to fix the bug (may be out soon).

I have a Naim Mu-so Qb and a Naim Star both connected via Wi-Fi (Orbi MESH Router) and never have any discovery or playback issues.

No mater what product you choose there is no guarantee any will get a software update, if needed, to support Apple "Hi-Fi" music.

A single speaker will never produce as wide a sound stage as two separate speakers, so if important then clearly the LSX may be a better option.

I always consider a single speaker, no matter how good, a compromise where space or aesthetics is more of a consideration.

The Naim systems have a great Internet radio using vTuner Pro, with lots of high bitrate stations to choose from. My Muso Qb and Star were factory refurbished units (from Peter Tyson), but came looking and performing as new. You can get the Muso 2 for £1099 of less.

The issue with devices not turning up on your network is down to your router. There is a known bug with the BT Hub 2 that causes the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks to appear isolated from each other. BT are working on a firmware update to fix the bug (may be out soon).

I have a Naim Mu-so Qb and a Naim Star both connected via Wi-Fi (Orbi MESH Router) and never have any discovery or playback issues.

No mater what product you choose there is no guarantee any will get a software update, if needed, to support Apple "Hi-Fi" music.

A single speaker will never produce as wide a sound stage as two separate speakers, so if important then clearly the LSX may be a better option.

I always consider a single speaker, no matter how good, a compromise where space or aesthetics is more of a consideration.

The Naim systems have a great Internet radio using vTuner Pro, with lots of high bitrate stations to choose from. My Muso Qb and Star were factory refurbished units (from Peter Tyson), but came looking and performing as new. You can get the Muso 2 for £1099 of less.

Thanks for your advice.

I did read about the BT Smart Hub issues so aware of that, although the connectivity problems with my Technics speakers also occurred when I disabled one or other of the 2.4 or 5 GHz frequencies and made sure all devices were on the same frequency.

Agree also re the limitations of a single speaker, definitely a compromise, we have limited space hence considering that option.

Thanks for the tip on factory refurbished MuSo 2, I’ll take a look.

Just to say, as I posted in the Sonos thread, you can phone BT and ask them to push the firmware to your router, I did it via twitter, a phone call and it was sorted an hour later.

The LS50 wireless are going for £799 at richer sounds.

The LS50 wireless are going for £799 at richer sounds.

Good spot, thanks. And there‘s me trying to reduce the number of options on my shortlist :D o_O I know that these have been replaced by a newer model but that’s a really excellent price for well reviewed speakers. Although I don’t believe they support Airplay 2 which is a requirement for me. And they are too deep for the bookshelf location I have for whatever speaker / speakers I end up buying. Unfortunately the newer version, which does support Airplay, is well over my budget.

@interbear here’s my view from the other thread:
Well, a bit of a long story really. I had been looking for the ´holy grail’ of all-in-One systems for a while and had an original Muso, traded it in then when the Muso 2 emerged, thought I’d go for that. It was here that Déjà vu set in as, although there was great improvement over the original - connectivity superior to anything similar and steady connection to my WiFi signal (Plusnet at the time) - I still couldn’t get away from the feeling of listening to sound with a restricted field or stage.
so I traded it in and am now running 2 sets of speakers and a sub from a Denon DRA 800H. All I can say is it suits my ears very well. Most of my use is from Apple Music, Spotify and Blu-ray as well as YouTube with the occasional CD thrown in. It’s a great value for money Amp.
If I were you, I’d keep listening to options: the LS 50 wireless might be around as a good deal as their successor is now on sale. Yes, the LSX could be good for you but connectivity is more limited than its big brother - I also read somewhere else on the forum that a successor to the LSX is in the offing soon.
Then again, you might think about some active speakers such as those made by Adam. Adam Audio T7V Studio Monitors, Pair at Gear4music
Marry these to something like the Yamaha WXC 50 and you’ll get a pretty decent sound:
Yamaha WXC-50 Wireless Streamer

I hope this long ramble helps.

@interbear here’s my view from the other thread:

Thanks. Interesting indeed. I agree on soundstage of a single unit but space limits prevent me doing anything with separates. The Kef options are good for “proper stereo” but as noted above the LS50 wireless don’t support Airplay. If they did I reckon I’d be going for them. I may wait for the imminent update to the LSX, but that may require patience I don’t have :) Of course the current LSX may get a nice discount when the new ones arrive too.

Thanks for the input yesterday.

I‘ve done much web research while stuck inside with the horrendous weather in this corner of South Wales yesterday. Probably read every review there is on these devices.

Given my primary use case of Apple Music via Airplay and Internet Radio I’m leaning towards the £799 B&W Wedge as a simple wireless speaker. It doesn’t have internet radio on board but TuneIn on my phone or iPad will handle that. I’m happy to control music that way, I don’t like voice control, years of arguing with Siri on my HomePod taught me that :) Current second favourite is the Naim MuSo 2, but that is almost £500 more (I could use that to buy another speaker for the kitchen). It’s more powerful, but in our small living room I think the Wedge would be more than sufficient, I also prefer clarity of sound rather than bass and I’ve read a few reviews suggesting that the B&W is better than the MuSo in this respect. However the MuSo is very well regarded in terms of sound quality generally and does have much better connectivity / flexibility should I want to connect it to a CD player, TV etc. I’m not really needing to do that right now though. The Kef LSX is in 3rd place as I’ve read too many negative reviews on it being a faff to set up and operate. Still considering it though as the true stereo element does appeal. Will do a bit more research today and then decide.

Just a thought before you plunge …. Have you considered the Muso QB 2? Only lacks the hdmi Arc that its big brother posesses.
Here’s the Forum review.

Just a thought before you plunge …. Have you considered the Muso QB 2? Only lacks the hdmi Arc that its big brother posesses.
Here’s the Forum review.

Thanks I did consider it actually as I have no need for the HDMI connectivity that the bigger MuSo has. However, I auditioned it’s predecessor the QB 1 (some time ago admittedly) and found that the soundstage was quite limited / closed to my ears. Version 2 will, likely have improved no doubt, but the review here suggests that the B&W Wedge is actually better in that respect. And, to my ears, I would agree having had a listed to the Wedge in JL recently. I also just read that the B&W app has been improved which is important as (1) I don’t intend to use Roon which originally seemed key and (2) it suggests the Formatiom range has a future following B&W’s acquisition last year :

I would not underestimate the direct playback of Internet radio from the device. The Naim has five presets that can be assigned via the App for direct selection from the Muso touch controls. This means you can select your favourite stations without any interaction with your phone/table. Also, they can be hi-res stations (FLAC) stations that will beat Airplay quality.

The Naim is also much more likely to get software updates for longer than other products. For example TIDAL Connect will be added this year.

Sometimes it is better to spend more upfront to get the better product than save money and end up spending more in the future. A local dealer may be able to arrange a in-home demo of the Naim.

I would not underestimate the direct playback of Internet radio from the device. The Naim has five presets that can be assigned via the App for direct selection from the Muso touch controls. This means you can select your favourite stations without any interaction with your phone/table. Also, they can be hi-res stations (FLAC) stations that will beat Airplay quality.

The Naim is also much more likely to get software updates for longer than other products. For example TIDAL Connect will be added this year.

Sometimes it is better to spend more upfront to get the better product than save money and end up spending more in the future. A local dealer may be able to arrange a in-home demo of the Naim.

I agree with you on the internet radio front. I did enjoy that aspect of the Technics system I had previously. Easy access and direct streaming of favourite radio stations. Which, to be fair, I used a lot.

Fair point also on Naim support. They are hugely popular and successful so will get that type of forward looking software support. B&W perhaps a little less? I don’t know.

On the budget front, I’m fortunate in that it’s not an affordability issue. If I conclude that the Naim MuSo 2 is the best option I will go for it.

I agree with you on the internet radio front. I did enjoy that aspect of the Technics system I had previously. Easy access and direct streaming of favourite radio stations. Which, to be fair, I used a lot.

Fair point also on Naim support. They are hugely popular and successful so will get that type of forward looking software support. B&W perhaps a little less? I don’t know.

On the budget front, I’m fortunate in that it’s not an affordability issue. If I conclude that the Naim MuSo 2 is the best option I will go for it.
I have lived with the MuSo 2 for the last 18 months + and the sound is truly exceptional for the size of the unit, the bass can be tuned by use of the onboard settings and although the soundstage is limited, for a space restricted yet it is acceptable. I compared it to the wedge and it is far superior, the B&W app is poor and the MuSo 2 is better in all areas.

I have lived with the MuSo 2 for the last 18 months + and the sound is truly exceptional for the size of the unit, the bass can be tuned by use of the onboard settings and although the soundstage is limited, for a space restricted yet it is acceptable. I compared it to the wedge and it is far superior, the B&W app is poor and the MuSo 2 is better in all areas.

The B&W app appears to have been improved.

Beyond the app, I’m genuinely interested in your reasoning for the MuSo2 being far superior to the B&W Wedge and whether or not you believe it’s worth the £500 premium. I’m happy to pay it if so.

Putting aside functionality. I bought both the wedge and MuSo 2 home and listened to them and I preferred the MuSo 2. Don’t forget the room has a big effect on the sound and it will come down to the one you think best suits your ears,

I did some more online reading and decided that the overwhelming majority of reviews favour the sound, connectivity and usability of the Naim MuSo 2. There is some reassurance in that endorsement, whereas the B&W Wedge is perhaps a more niche choice, even if I love the quirky design vs the MuSo slab. So I’ve ordered the MuSo. The points made here on easy access to internet radio, long term software support plus the connectivity / versatility of the MuSo swayed me. I’m sure I’ll be happy with the Naim sound quality given that I’m coming from Apple HomePods and more recently the Technics Ottava SC70. Thanks folks.

MuSo 2 arrived today. Up and running in minutes, hardwired to the router. All very simple to set up. So far, delighted. It is indeed a better listen (to my ears) than the B&W Wedge I was considering, although to be fair that was demo‘d in a noisy retail environment, not my living room. Internet radio, Apple Music via Airplay both sound great. Although I couldn’t find a couple of Scottish stations I listen to via the Naim app and wanted to save as favourites, so I’ll have to rely on TuneIn for those. I’ve also signed up to the free 90 day Tidal trial which sounds superb. As an Apple One Premier subscriber I really, really hope that Apple Music do a “HiFi” service similar to this as the difference between Tidal and standard Apple Music was noticeable on all tracks I did a direct comparison with. Overall I am very happy with this choice. It’s a handsome slab of tech too. Looks great.

Hi all,

Looking for advice or experiences from anyone who’s used any of the following:
  • Naim MuSo 2 - currently £1,299 at John Lewis (with £100 gift card) or £1,290 at Richer Sounds.
  • Kef LSX - currently £999 at Richer Sounds
  • Bowers and Wilkins Wedge - currently £799 at both (a promo, it’s usually £899)
My primary listening requirements are Apple Music via Airplay and Internet Radio stations. I want to ensure that whatever speaker I buy will support any “HiFi” version of Apple Music that is rumoured to be imminent. The speaker will be located on a bookshelf in the living room. It’s close enough to be hard wired via Ethernet to the BT Smart Hub 2 router, which I assume will provide for a more stable connection than Wi-fi and will mean that the speaker should always be found as an Airplay device from either my iPhone, iPad or Mac. This is an assumption of mine so please advise if I am incorrect. I’ve had and returned too many speakers that have had unreliable Wi-fi connectivity and therefore do not show up as visible devices via Airplay, hence why I’m thinking Ethernet connection is the answer.

I‘m interested in feedback on :
  • Sound quality via the 3 devices noted when using Airplay
  • Stereo separation / soundstage (I’m assuming the Kef LSX is better for this)
  • App usability and reliability (I’ve been burned by the Technics Audio Centre app that rarely worked or connected with its own speakers). Given my use case, I’d rather set the speaker up via its own app and then stream via the Apple Music app, TuneIn radio etc, rather than be reliant on the speaker‘s own app.
  • WiFi connectivity via a BT Smart Hub 2 - if I decide to move the speaker to another room, this would be important.
The only one of these that I’ve been able to listen to is the B&W Wedge. I liked it. Decent sound, clarity and pretty wide soundstage for a single speaker. It’s also the cheapest option on my list with the current promo. The Naim MuSo is at the top end of my budget, don’t want to pay more than that.

All opinions, feedback and alternative suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
I have all 3…in my opinion the Muso 2 is bombproof regarding connection,the Wedge is second (the odd drop out) and the LSX are last because I just had to send mine back due to constant orange flashing light and not showing up on network.
Regarding the sound and separation I have my LSX paired with a Kef sub and the sound is incredible….the Muso 2 on a dedicated Muso chrome stand with rubber isolating pads sounds amazing for all music but it is noticeable if you aren’t listening sitting straight in front of it,the Wedge has an awesome sound and clarity but not as much poke as the other two sounds loses out when listening to loud rock or dance music although anything acoustic and low level sounds great.
I have also had a Muso 1 but the 2nd gen Muso is startling in the difference…didn’t think it would be that stark but it is….more responsive,tighter,faster,louder,more bass,etc.
Muso 2 and LSX are very responsive playing via airplay with the Wedge slightly behind but not by much (I use Spotify,Amazon Music,BBC Sounds and some Podcasts)
Overall soundwise I lean towards the LSX + Sub combo because at high lvls and particularly rock or dance music they sound spectacular (and the acoustic/classical stuff ain’t bad lol) but for the total package (sound,ease of use,aesthetics,etc) the Muso 2 just shades it,the Wedge is by no means the ugly stepchild,its just short in a couple of areas but it still great value.I use it in the background when I am on my gaming PC,works just fine.
Fingers crossed they sort my LSX out…
Hope this helps….
PS just noticed you got the Muso 2 …I really should read whole threads lol
Well at least will hopefully help others….

I have all 3…in my opinion the Muso 2 is bombproof regarding connection,the Wedge is second (the odd drop out) and the LSX are last because I just had to send mine back due to constant orange flashing light and not showing up on network.
Regarding the sound and separation I have my LSX paired with a Kef sub and the sound is incredible….the Muso 2 on a dedicated Muso chrome stand with rubber isolating pads sounds amazing for all music but it is noticeable if you aren’t listening sitting straight in front of it,the Wedge has an awesome sound and clarity but not as much poke as the other two sounds loses out when listening to loud rock or dance music although anything acoustic and low level sounds great.
I have also had a Muso 1 but the 2nd gen Muso is startling in the difference…didn’t think it would be that stark but it is….more responsive,tighter,faster,louder,more bass,etc.
Muso 2 and LSX are very responsive playing via airplay with the Wedge slightly behind but not by much (I use Spotify,Amazon Music,BBC Sounds and some Podcasts)
Overall soundwise I lean towards the LSX + Sub combo because at high lvls and particularly rock or dance music they sound spectacular (and the acoustic/classical stuff ain’t bad lol) but for the total package (sound,ease of use,aesthetics,etc) the Muso 2 just shades it,the Wedge is by no means the ugly stepchild,its just short in a couple of areas but it still great value.I use it in the background when I am on my gaming PC,works just fine.
Fingers crossed they sort my LSX out…
Hope this helps….
PS just noticed you got the Muso 2 …I really should read whole threads lol
Well at least will hopefully help others….

Thanks for responding anyway :D I’m sure your comments will be useful to others and you have actually validated my choice of the Mu-So 2. I love it, it’s great for music and as an added bonus has significantly improved our TV audio experience via its HDMI input. Overall, a piece of tech I am absolutely delighted with. Hope you get your LSXs fixed.

Thanks for responding anyway :D I’m sure your comments will be useful to others and you have actually validated my choice of the Mu-So 2. I love it, it’s great for music and as an added bonus has significantly improved our TV audio experience via its HDMI input. Overall, a piece of tech I am absolutely delighted with. Hope you get your LSXs fixed.
How is your Mu-so 2 going on? On the fence about them. Choice between a cheaper Marshal Woburn 3 and Mu So 2. Big living room. Listen to a lot of genres (Indian classical music to everything). Fond of bass. Thank you for your time

How is your Mu-so 2 going on? On the fence about them. Choice between a cheaper Marshal Woburn 3 and Mu So 2. Big living room. Listen to a lot of genres (Indian classical music to everything). Fond of bass. Thank you for your time

I would highly recommend the Mu-so 2. It creates great sound with very decent bass and can fill a decent space. Based on reviews I’d say it’s a better choice than the Marshall for a big living room. I did however catch upgraditis and decided to sell it and now have a Naim Uniti Atom with some Sonus Faber Lumina II speakers. But I wouldn’t hesitate to have another Mu-so 2 if I had somewhere to put one.

I would highly recommend the Mu-so 2. It creates great sound with very decent bass and can fill a decent space. Based on reviews I’d say it’s a better choice than the Marshall for a big living room. I did however catch upgraditis and decided to sell it and now have a Naim Uniti Atom with some Sonus Faber Lumina II speakers. But I wouldn’t hesitate to have another Mu-so 2 if I had somewhere to put one.
Wow this is super nice to hear. Have ordered one thanks to you and other kind folks here.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom